Paul Maddens- Farm (c)

Nativity! One Shot

Your family owned a farm that was commonly visited by parents with small children or school trips for primary schools. This was a different school trip. You had never had a school phone you in the morning to ask for a visit the same day. Luckily, there were no other large group bookings, and you were able to get them in for the same day. Maybe you should have realised it was a little odd just from that, but you quickly realised how truly odd it was.

One of the teachers seemed more excited by the animals than the students did whilst the second one tried his best to keep his class and colleague under control whilst you and your brother showed them around and helped them out with their day at the farm.

Your mess of a group reached the sheep paddock and before you could properly unlatch it and open it, the children joined the field being led by the excitable grownup. Your brother rushed after them to keep the animals and children safe alike but allow all of them to enjoy their time whilst you and the other teacher entered the paddock and closed the gate to stop anything from escaping.

"He seems... excitable," you said, not sure how to describe the teacher running around, chasing a sheep.

The teacher gave you an apologetic smile. "That's one way to describe Mr Poppy."

"I'm Y/N."

He introduced himself as Paul before you started to talk about yourselves and your careers, keeping a close eye on the school children and sheep that mingled amongst the grass.

"We're putting on a nativity," he stated. "Mr Poppy insisted that we needed to see the farm animals as the children couldn't pretend to be around them if they didn't know them well enough."

"I guess that's kind of sweet," you smiled.

"It's hard to say no to him. It's worse than with the kids."

He continued to tell you about his class and the nativity play that they were putting on. He didn't seem excited about the play, but you could see joy coming through when he discussed the children's enjoyment of it. The two of you got along well, discussing his class and your farm.

"Well it may be a lot of work in and out of the classroom, but you certainly seem to care for your class and that is one of the things that matters the most."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.