Kelly Bailey- Forget (a)

Misfits One Shot

"I like your..." You gestured up and down her body trying to think of what to call her obscenely coloured uniform. "The orange really brings out your eyes."

"Jumpsuit, that's what we call them anyway. Sounds a little more dignified than community service uniform. Yes, I am on community service, it was for assault after I beat up some bitch for talking shit. No need to be scared though, I'm not some hardened criminal or something, I just have a bit of a temper, which I am working on. My name's Kelly." You weren't sure if her sharing this information was just to try and push you away or just so the whole conversation wasn't about her new past time.

"What do they have you doing these days? I was in your shoes last august, they didn't make us wear those god awful things though we just had a tatty little vest to wear."

"We mostly just scrape dog shit off the street and graffiti off the wall but today we get a special treat! We get to go and talk to old people and listen to them yammer on all day. Was yours any more exciting?" She pulled a loose cigarette from her pocket and dug around desperately for a lighter. "Oh for fucks sake I must have left it in my locker."

"Don't worry, here take this I always keep a spare on me."

"Why would you ever need a spare lighter?" She quickly lit the cigarette and took a few grateful drags.

"I keep it on me purposely in case I come across a cute girl like yourself who needs one, then I can woo her with my preparedness, generosity and suave skills. I mean that all goes down the drain when I tell you about it and you realise I'm chatting complete shit and I only have two because I have a real tendency to lose things." Kelly smiled as she flicked the butt onto the ground and stomped it into the concrete.

"Don't worry about the littering, I'll probably be picking it up tomorrow."

"I presume you've left the rest of them in your locker too?"

"Yeah... I thought you said you were supposed to be the forgetful one. I normally have a cracking memory. Just like you always keep a spare lighter for cute girls, I must keep forgetting my stuff in case I come across a hot guy."

"Here." You extended your arm with a loose four cigarettes tucked inside your hand. "How about you keep these and then tomorrow when you're picking up all the litter you're dropping, you can pay me four back?"

"Sounds like a plan, what should I forget tomorrow?"

~*~

Written by Aaron.