Ragnar Lothbrok- Archer (a)

Vikings One Shot

Small fiendish splinters of wood scratched across your face and that of Ragnar's as the arrows jagged edge pierced through your thick shield.

"The Mercian army do not stand a chance against us, they would not stand a chance against us even if we stood by ourselves."

"Thank you." Ragnar chuckled with a carefree smile as if he did not almost get an arrow through his skull. "Truly, Odin must have us under his watchful and protective gaze this day." Ragnar looked up towards the sky lovingly and admirably.

"Odin?" You scoffed. "I did not see Odin diving in front of you with his shield raised. Of course, my actions were influenced by the All-Father, but do not forget who is putting their life on the line to save your backside and to win you this kingdom."

"My apologies y/n. You have my thanks, I swear. Although be sure not to anger the gods, do not take credit for what could have been their work." Ragnar tucked himself behind you, using you and your shield as cover as you approached the offending archer before reaching close enough for Ragnar to lurch from behind and attack at his abdomen. "Fantastic." He smirked as the archer fell to his knees and his armour coat became soaked thickly with blood. He rested his bloodied hands on his hips and assessed the battlefield from atop the slightly elevated hilltop at which he had found himself.

"Taking a break are we Ragnar? That is fine, you just catch your breath whilst everybody else works on killing the Mercians." You ducked under a flailing sword as its blade blew over your shoulder, narrowly missing your arm. Ragnar leapt from his scouting nook and embedded the head of his axe deeply into the attacker's back. Such force came with the swing that he had to hoist the blade out with a muddied boot on the Mercian's back.

"There... are we happy now?" You ruggedly locked Ragnar's hand into your own and you pulled each other tightly, harshly but lovingly smacking each other on the back. "Come..." Ragnar kicked the helmet from the fallen Mercian to ensure his eyes were lifeless, as if the blood, shards of spine and entrails spilling onto the grass were not a sure enough sign. "We do have a kingdom to overthrow after all and I do not think we have much time to waste!"

~*~

Written by Aaron.