Nathan Young- Family (a)

Misfits One Shot

"Honestly, of all the things my dad could have forgot to tell me, It's the fact that I have a brother. He was quick enough to talk about the cheating, the drinking, the gambling. But oh no, a sibling, that's pushing the boat out just a little too far." Even against the anger and frustration, Nathan for once seemed calm, you lay beside each other on a blanket that you had stolen from the community centre far away from the rest of the group and had found yourself just talking and staring at the clouds. "Just a slight cock move, don't you think?"

"You could say that." Maybe it the rushing of the river just trickling past or the occasional bird dancing by in the nice summer's sun, but you had never seen Nathan have a conversation and not hide his feelings behind twister humour.

"Think how much of a different person I would have been if I just have a functional fucking family? A dad who loved me and cared about me and my ma', a brother to play with and to help me fight the bullies at school, in this scenario I actually go to school, maybe a little dog pattering around. Just the whole nine yards really."

"Don't worry, I've had my fair share of dealing with families that haven't got their shit together."

"As bad as mine?" He turned to you.

"Well I've had to deal with more than one, I spent most of my early life moving from foster home to foster home, from living with abusive people, people that were just in it for the money and didn't care. Occasionally I would go to somebody that weren't too bad but then I did something to piss them off and they decided to swap me out for somebody that wasn't going to cause them as many problems. Trust me, I get you."

"I never knew your parents didn't love you." He quickly apologised for the joke but you assured him you didn't care and that you were very used to him by now so you weren't going to take it too personally.

"I wasn't planned and they simply didn't have the money or time to properly look after me. I probably would have preferred to be poor and lonely with them as opposed to being tossed through the system but you know, you can't have everything." You peered past Nathan at the rest of the group tanning on the park bench. "Besides, I think we've found our family now."

~*~

Written by Aaron.