Joan Watson- Hide and Seek (c)

Elementary One Shot

Although you and your girlfriend didn't have any children and you had no intentions of having any for at least a long time, you did enjoy the company of children but preferred to be able to return them. For the day you were babysitting your niece so that your sister and brother-in-law could go out for a date, something they hadn't really done for nearly five years since their daughter was born.

You and Joan spent the day entertaining her and were pretty sure that all three of you would get a good nights sleep later as you were already very tired but still had several hours before the little girl would be picked up. You had coloured in some pictures and watched a movie before playing dress up and having lunch. It was a busy day, but you enjoyed the toothy grin you got from your niece whenever you had something new to do with her.

Currently the three of you were playing hide and seek. Your niece insisted on being the seeker this time, so you left her to count whilst you and Joan went to find somewhere to hide. You both squeezed under the kitchen table, pulling the tablecloth down to hide you from clear view. Even though you couldn't see your niece, you could hear her counting to herself and that reassured you that she was okay.

"I'm sorry for her," you said to Joan. "She has so much energy, I think after this I might see if she was to run around outside and tucker herself out."

Joan let out a chuckle, gently resting her hand on your shoulder. "It's okay. She's sweet and it's quite fun to try and entertain her but I certainly don't think I could do this every day."

"Neither," you agreed. "It's a lot easier when we can fill her with sugar then return her for them to handle."

She nodded her head. "Maybe one day we will adopt but for now I am happy to take care of your niece for a day and then spend the next week to recover."

It was a fun day, but you were beginning to look forward to it coming to an end. You noticed your niece fall silent, so paused your conversation trying to hear what she was doing. After a moment she begun to talk to herself again.

"Ready or not, here I come!"

~*~

Written by Charlotte.