Nell Crain- Couple (c)

The Haunting Of Hill House One Shot

When your wife died, you never thought that you would ever be able to be happy again, but time was a good healer. You had been advised to go to group therapy for people who had experienced bereavement and that was where you had met Nell who had recently lost her husband, Arthur. You were roughly the same age and had lost your spouses nearly at the same time, so you were drawn to one another at once. You were able to help support each other and offer each other an ear to listen to all the sorrow that built up within your hearts.

You had started to meet up outside of the group therapies to go out for coffee and ended up moving in with each other to share the bills of running a home and be there to understand the pain you both felt. It was a good situation for you both, having a new roommate and Nell appreciated having someone be there to help her through her night terrors and try to support her when she was at her lowest.

It had been a year of living as roommates but if anyone on the outside looked in, they would have assumed you were a married couple due to the way you lived. For convenience, you had started to share a bed, so that you could be there when her night terrors became bad and she could assist you if you couldn't sleep through your tears. It was just a matter of time that you had started having feelings for her, and maybe living like a couple didn't help the matter but now you needed to admit to her. You knew it could ruin your friendship, but you couldn't live a lie; you had experienced enough heartache for a lifetime.

"Nell, can I talk to you?" You questioned as you walked into the living room.

"Of course," she said looking a little confused, making her way over to sit down next to you.

You took a deep breath, knowing this was going to shake everything that you had come so fond of.

"I have grown fond of you," you stated, even though it was a little cryptic. "We've lived like a couple for so long, it has made me like you as though we were in one. I understand if you want me to move out or never see me, but I couldn't be dishonest with you."

Nell smiled fondly at you, biting her lower lip. "I was waiting to find the perfect time to tell you that I felt that way too."

Your eyes lit up. You didn't expect her to feel the same, but you certainly weren't sad about it, you were completely the opposite.

"Really?" You croaked, it still not feeling real.

"Well we already act like a couple, I guess we are just making it official."

She leaned in gently to press her lips to your cheek, both of you glad to find someone who understood the pain and trauma that would always stay within you, no matter the love you felt for one another.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.