Abbey Smith- New (c)

Misfits One Shot

"How can you be so optimistic?" You asked.

Abbey cocked an eyebrow as she lowered her vending machine coffee from her mouth back to the old wooden picnic bench that the two of you were meant to be removing gum from the bottom but had decided to take a coffee break at instead.

"What do you mean?" She said, a little perplexed by the out of context question that you had asked her.

"If I had lost all recollection of who I was, I would be terrified of what I have lost, what had lead me to lose everything and why no one was looking for me, but you don't even seem slightly worried," you shrugged.

The storm had screwed up most people locally, many of them now having powers and being unlike they had been before. Abbey had something worse than just some powers, she had no idea who she was before the storm had happened and no matter how she tried, she couldn't find anything of her past and it seemed that even if she was looking for her past, no one else was looking for her. It scared you even though it wasn't your own situation but since you had known Abbey, she had never shown any fear or real concern, nothing more than curiosity and hope.

"I don't really see the point in worrying. I don't know what I'm missing," she stated. "I'm just enjoying getting to experience everything and figuring out who I am. I don't know if I am anything like who I was before, but I get to build the person I am now. How many people can say that as an adult they get to experience everything as though it's new?"

"It's an admirable outlook," you commented, taking a sip of your own coffee.

Abbey shrugged her shoulders. "I might have been a right bitch before all of this. Maybe that's why no one wants me anymore, maybe I didn't even have anyone before the storm. It doesn't matter now. I don't know who I'm looking for and if they want to look for me, then they can but it isn't going to help anyone if I worry about people I don't even know anymore."

"Well you are definitely far from a bitch now. You're one of the nicest people I know. How many people end up on community service because they were pretending to be on community service?" You chuckled.

"I'd say I am one of the few."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.