Paul Maddens- Flight (c)

Nativity! One shot

When you were spending the best part of a day on a plane, you had been a little apprehensive when you ended up sat next to a child who was being rather chatty across the aisle to a man and another child whom you assumed they were travelling with. The man looked tired and stressed and the plane hadn't even left the tarmac yet.

As the plane begun to take off, the girl next to you begun to clutch her ears and complain about the pain that was going through them. You had always hated the feeling of your ears popping but you knew that it could be far worse for children when they didn't fully understand what was going on or how to combat it.

You rummaged through your handbag for your boiled sweets that you swore by to help the pressure in your ears.

"Maybe having a boiled sweet will help," you offered as a general statement so that both the child and the man she was with could respond.

"Can I have one Mr Maddens?" The girl asked.

You were a little confused as to why she referred to him as Mr Maddens when you thought that he was her father but you tried not to question it too much as there could be a very innocent explanation.

"Yes," he said to the girl before turning to you. "Thank you, that's very kind."

"Do you or your son want one?" You asked as you held out the bag to the girl so that she could pick which flavour she wanted.

Simultaneously they both spoke. The boy agreed, wanting one of the sweets as well whilst the man said that he wasn't his father. You cocked an eyebrow at him, curious as to why this man was taking two children that weren't his to a different country. You could only assume it was an innocent explanation as you doubted the levels of security checks you have to go through to visit the USA would fail these two children.

The man quickly realised that you were getting confused and concerned over him travelling with the two children and decided to clear things up.

"I'm their teacher, I was meant to be doing this trip alone, but the school and their parents thought that it was a good idea to bring two of my students," he explained. "I definitely wasn't prepared to have them with me, so I am trying to make do with what I can for the flight."

You offered him a sympathetic smile. "Well we are here for a long while, if you need anything then I can help out to try and make it a bit easier for you three. I'm Y/N."

"Paul, and this is Saffron and William."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.