chapter 7

JUST FOR A MOMENT

JUST FOR A MOMENT

I was in Herbology, sitting with Hermione and Luna.

The lesson begins as Professor Sprout starts explaining the Herbivicus charm to us. I lowered my head to my textbook, skimming the lines as I tried not to lose concentration. For no apparent reason, Herbology had always been my least favourite class.

Then, the empty seat beside me is pulled. My head snapped up, my eyes widening when I saw Draco Malfoy sliding into the chair. He pulled his textbook from his bag, not having spared me a glance.

I glance over, seeing that Sprout had noticed Draco getting to class late but she merely brushed it off. She was never very strict so it was no surprise she didn't bother speaking about tardiness or giving him detention when any other teacher very well would have.

I looked at Draco again, my eyes narrowing. "You don't sit here."

Draco ignored my comment and pulled my textbook towards him. He leaned towards me to read the page number. I could feel his warm breath on my lower arm. I could feel the warmth of his body radiating onto me.

I almost wanted to laugh.

I would have never expected Draco Malfoy to have warmth.

"None of these chapters make sense," he grumbled as he continued scanning the pages of my textbook. "Merlin-I learn nothing in this class."

I grinned smugly, leaning back with ease. "Perhaps, in that case, I can sneak some Venomous Tentacula into your room. You'll have no idea the plant has mobile vines that try to grab living prey."

Draco scowled at me. "Very funny, Ambrose."

I shot him a sweet smile.

Draco simply shook his head. He flipped to the right page in his own textbook, one hand tucked against his cheek as he started skimming the pages.

Draco grunted after a moment.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. "Problem, Malfoy?"

Draco heaved a heavy breath, not looking at me. He continued reading the page. "What is the point of learning a charm to rapidly grow plants? Who the bloody hell cares?"

"I believe those who need to grow plants would care," Hermione spoke from beside me, amusement laced in her tone.

I snickered quietly, causing Draco to shoot me a glare.

"Maybe I can use the charm on you and leaves will miraculously start growing out of your pores."

Draco stared at me flatly, not amused or humoured. "Perhaps I can use the Silencio charm on you. Merlin knows why I have yet to do so."