chapter 54

BURNOUT

BURNOUT

Every living, breathing, waking moment blurred into one endless loop. I was never sober anymore. I couldn't be. I didn't know how to be.

Or maybe, I just didn't want to be.

I didn't want to think. I didn't want to feel.

I don't know if I want to live, really.

Sleep could not be used as an escape; how could it if you keep waking up to relive the same day over and over again. It wasn't me who was tired, it was my soul. It could be wondered, if I close my eyes and never wake up again, would I still be tired?

I knew what I was doing. I knew I was losing myself despite my desperate efforts to do anything but that. Even when I was down there, I refused to lose myself. Now, I was becoming something hollow; losing myself in the void growing within me. Worst of all, I was okay with it. It was easier. After a long time, I wanted the easier way out. I don't want to fight anymore.

Whatever Gryffindor used to be in me had died in that basement.

Now I was nothing.

I didn't allow myself to be sober a moment long enough to start caring about any of it.

I stared out the window in DADA class. It was a sunny day, beautiful outside, the trees bright and colourful as their leaves lost their greenness. Autumn always used to be my favourite season. I watched the lifeless leaves on the ground swirl in the sky from the wind.

If I could be a season, I was sure it would be autumn. When the leaves fall from the trees to die; the branches bare with nothing to shield them from the wind and forthcoming winter frost.

"Miss Ambrose." Snape's voice hissed loudly to grab both my attention and divert the rest of the class's focus onto me.

I leaned back in my seat, sighing as I turned to look at him. "Yes, sir?"

Snape's eyebrows momentarily drew together before he displayed his usual impassive expression. "Is my class boring you?"

I gaped for a moment. "If you're looking for honesty, I wasn't paying enough attention to know whether or not your lesson was boring."

Snape stared at me, taken aback by my bluntness. Every student in the classroom also gawked, either impressed by my bravery or terrified that I had really gone mental-because nobody would ever dare speak to Snape in such a manner.

Snape grimaced. "You will be staying after class so we can discuss what detention deems suitable for your attitude."

I shrugged, turning to resume looking out the window. "Okay."

Snape stared at me for a moment longer before irritably continuing his lesson.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Pansy grabbed my arm after class, pulling me towards her. "Do you have a death wish?" She, Blaise and Hermione who had DADA with me, all stared.