chapter 33

FINDING YOUR FOOTING

A week. I had been back a week and still hadn't found my footing. I was home, a place that should feel comfortable and familiar but instead, my body was floating through the hallways like a ghost, the floor no longer feeling like the floor and the walls no longer feeling like the walls. My own body couldn't recognize home.

My parents and Sirius were adamant on me taking the rest of the year off, going back home so I could "heal". The idea didn't seem appealing. I considered, then decided I needed to be at Hogwarts around my friends. I needed my friends right now. I needed to be with them. I needed to know they were there, around, everywhere, a mere few steps away.

I couldn't remember the last time I slept.

It had been so long.

I laid awake, night after night, staring at the ceiling. I could no longer close the lights in my room.

It was so cold. So dark. So-alone.

I wrapped my arms around my body, pulling the blanket over my chest. Inhaling deeply, I would close my eyes and pray for sleep to come. I could feel my exhaustion in the tips of my fingers. My eyelids could no longer keep themselves open from how tired I was.

But the sleep would still never come.

Every time my eyes closed, the coldness would consume me. The darkness would wrap its arms around me, trapping me in. The loneliness, a sea, slowly rising and rising until my head was bound under the water.

My screams and cries echoed in my head, so loud I couldn't hear myself think. I could hear nothing by wailing, screeching screams that shook me to the core. Sometimes, I wouldn't immediately realize that the screams I heard belonged to me-the screams from the basement.

Closing my eyes apparated me right back into that basement-chained, trapped, cold, in pain. Samael's face would appear in my mind. Images of myself surrounded, soaked in a pool of my own blood on the cold concrete floor.

Samael gripped my face in his bony hands, bruises the tender flesh. "You make a rather-enchanting plaything, dearie."

My own room-the place that should have been my safe sanctuary, my comfort zone, had now been tarnished and iron-cladded with danger. I was not safe. I couldn't feel safe in my own room. I had been taken from my own room.

I had come into my room to see a hooded man standing by the window. I backed into the door. "Who-who are you?" The man stepped towards me. "You'll find that out in due time."

My body trembled and shook all night long. I would cradle myself.

My hands wouldn't stop spasming. I would clench my fists.