chapter 18

THE NEW ROUTINE

THE NEW ROUTINE

I sat in the Great Hall during breakfast, my head resting in my hands. I felt too sick to eat anything.

"You look like rubbish." Fred slid into the seat beside me, snickering at the sight of me. I felt as poorly as I looked.

I scowled at him.

"Here," Hermione handed me a small potion.

"What's this?"

"A hangover potion. You'll stop feeling sick." She smiled warmly, sitting down across from me.

I downed the potion instantly. "You-are walking heaven."

Hermione laughed airily. "Seeing how pissed you got last night, I figured you could use hair of the dog, in one form or another."

I shimmied my shoulders, shaking away all the lousiness I was feeling. I helped myself to Fred's coffee that was sitting in front of him. He didn't seem to mind.

"That party was wicked," Fred murmured in thought. "One of the best we've had this year."

I laughed faintly. "I'm sure it was although, I can hardly recall anything."

"So," George sat on my other side, his head resting in the palm of his hand. "Malfoy was quite the help last night. What did you two get up to?" He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

My eyes narrowed as I grew slightly confused. "What? I-I vaguely remember him getting me back to my room. That was all."

The majority of last night was one big blur in my mind. My memories were spotty, having drank much more Firewhiskey than I should've been allowed to. I could faintly remember that Draco had helped walk me back to my room at the end of the night-but other than the simple fact itself, I had not a clue what happened at the party.

"Rather kind of him, don't you think?" Fred asked impishly, looking at me through narrowed eyes.

I tossed him an odd look. "What? I suppose. We might hate each other but that doesn't mean we want to-I don't know, leave each other unconscious on the Ravenclaw common room floor?"

I had not a clue what I was trying to say.

Frankly, I didn't understand Draco's random acts of kindness-such as helping me back to my room when I was entirely pissed.

Hermione grimaced. "Hate-quite a strong word for two people who can't seem to leave one other alone."

I stared at her dully. What is she implying? "Your mind has gone all to pot."

Speaking of Draco, I glanced around the Great Hall to see if I could spot him. I don't know why. Maybe I should thank him for helping me last night.

Draco stepped into the Great Hall, Blaise and Pansy in conversation behind him. As if he could feel my gaze warming his skin, he met my eyes.