chapter 30

YOU CAN'T PUT YOUR ARMS AROUND A MEMORY

Draco

I cried out in agony, pain pulsating through my entire body. My head felt like it was set ablaze while simultaneously being impaled by dagger after dagger. My lungs felt like they were on fire, each intake of breath causing sharp, stabbing pain. My body was slick with sweat that clung to my skin, my breaths heaving.

When I fluttered my eyelids open, the room swam before my eyes. My eyeballs felt like they had been ripped from my eye sockets, the pain pressurizing and clear.

My mind felt as though it had been flayed, my consciousness peeled back inch by inch.

"Draco-Draco, are you okay?" Hermione rushed around the chair, muttered a small spell so the claws would pop right off her fingers. She bent down in front of me, running a hand through my sweat-dampened hair to push it away from my forehead.

I heaved heavy breaths, slinking forward in the chair.

My brain feels like it's on fire.

I lifted my gaze, meeting her warm and concerned eyes.

"That was-hell."

Hermione pulled out her wand, muttering some healing incantations. Moments later, the pain started to dull. I touched the back of my neck, feeling the wounds where the claws pierced my skin having being closed and healed.

"Did you get anything-at all?" Fred stared at me impatiently. "You lot were gone a whole hour."

"An hour?" I wheezed out, still not having caught my breath. "Really?"

"It didn't feel that long?" Pansy tossed me a towel to wipe away my sweat.

I shrugged wearily as I dapped away the sweat on my forehead. "No. The memories-they were just whizzing by so quick, I could hardly make out some of them. It was like-being pulled through time or something."

"So-that means it worked." Blaise breathed out a laugh in relief. "You saw stuff. It worked."

I leaned back in the chair. I still breathed heavily, my lungs burning as I tried to intake enough oxygen to fill them. "I saw stuff, alright."

"Well," Fred urged. "What did you see?"

I clicked my tongue, cocking my head to the side and peering at a wall as if I were in deep thought, pondering. "I saw Blaise telling her she had the eyes of Forget-Me-Not flowers."

Blaise's face flushed, his eyes growing wide.

"I also saw a certain Weasley asking her if she thought stars had feelings."