chapter 45

ENTROPY

ENTROPY

The summer was-just as good as it was terrible.

I spent a lot of time with the Weasleys and Potters-our families always being together, along with Remus and Sirius. It was always a fun time, loud and bustling with conversation and jokes. Music and games. Uncle Moony bringing an endless supply of chocolates. James Potter singing and strumming his guitar. It was impossible not to feel the suffocating love all around; one big family that never failed to bring a smile to your face.

However, nightfall would come, slowly draping down onto me like a blanket. I would lie restlessly awake and staring at the ceiling of my room for hours. Hours on end. Hours that seemed to grow longer and longer. I hardly got a blink of sleep-the odd nights when I would fall asleep, I would soon wake up from the nightmares. I get them so often I should be used to them by now. I'm not.

The worry my friends and family held had not subsided since the kidnapping took place. I could see it on their faces, the worry etched in between the lines on their faces.

They knew I was different. They knew something in me had changed. They all knew.

But how could I really explain what was going on with me when I didn't understand it myself? Was there even a way to describe the hollowness left inside me?

Some mornings, I would wake up. Sirius would be seated with my parents in the kitchen. I'd help myself to a much-needed cup of coffee-not failing to notice Uncle Sirius carefully but subtly watching me. Analyzing my movements, noting each hint of exhaustion on my face. He watched me like he was trying to find a loose thread that once pulled, would unravel the entire sweater.

"Get any sleep, kid?" He would ask casually as I joined the three adults at the table.

"Yes. I slept fine." I would shrug as I sipped on my coffee, the lie easily slipping out of my mouth. As if it were second nature. Sometimes, it didn't feel like a lie. I said it so much, I almost thought it was true.

Except for the crushing weight of my tired limbs, the exhaustion compressing my mind.

Later, when my parents weren't around, Sirius would approach me again. With his eyes narrowed thoughtfully, he said, "You don't look too well, kid. You're not catching a cold, are you?"

I forced a laugh, brushing off his remark. "I feel quite fine. I must not tan as easily as I thought I would under this sun."

Sirius nodded slowly, not looking like he was convinced. He leaned back on the recliner he sat in. "You know, when I was a boy I had a hard time. My family-they weren't the best of people." He paused for a moment, peering at me carefully. "Nightmares, panic attacks, falling into a very deep dark place in my mind-it's all familiar to me."