chapter 17

PLAYING THE GAME

PLAYING THE GAME

Being hated by Draco Malfoy was one thing.

Being supposedly wanted by him was another.

Ever since his admission of being "infatuated" by me, he had found himself a new game to play with me-one that consisted of him acting as though he fancied me. Over the last few weeks, his banter had grown flirty and he refused to believe that I didn't secretly harbour feelings for him.

It was another one of his provoking ways to get under my skin, annoy me until my blood boiled, and simply-mess with me.

It was working well because I was indeed raging with annoyance.

Things had been going as such:

I walked out of of the Gryffindor common room just to run into Draco who had been leaning against the wall, waiting for me.

I rolled my eyes as I walked past him. "Careful, Malfoy. I might start to think you actually miss me."

Draco was quick to follow, falling into step beside me. "That's because I do. Oh, how much I miss how fit you look when you're yelling at me, calling me an arse, to see you fuming with rage is a sight for sore eyes."

My nose scrunched up in disgust. "Fuck off, you arse."

Draco smirked. "Exactly what I was missing. Music to my ears, your voice is."

I wasn't used to this game. I was used to insults, rude comments, vulgar name calling, taunting-this was an entirely new realm of sparring and Draco was winning.

"A Mandrake's fatal cry, your voice is."

Draco laughed. He laughed sincerely, causing me to halt in my tracks and turn to look at him, bewildered.

Draco and I only laughed at each other in disbelief or mockery-never because we found each other seriously funny.

I narrowed my eyes. "Drop your act, Malfoy. It's gotten old."

Draco's eyebrows pulled together. "I was not aware I was putting on an act."

I continued staring him down. "I will hex you."

Draco smirked, amusement lighting his eyes. "I'd allow you to."

I blinked, taken aback.

One point, Slytherin.

I licked my lips slowly. "You're good, Malfoy. This-this is good."

Draco's head shook in confusion. "What?"

"This game-very well played." I crossed my arms over my chest.

Two could play this game. It had taken me a while to see that but now, I was seeing it clear as day.