chapter 62

IF I COULD WISH FOR ANYTHING

Draco

"Here." Blaise stood outside my room as I handed him the Herbology notes he had lent me. He seemed to be entirely lost in thought-which made me curious as I leaned against my doorframe with my arms crossed over my chest. "What's happening?"

Snapping himself out of his thoughts, Blaise lifted his gaze to meet my eyes. "When'd you know you loved Elysia?"

His question was entirely abrupt and took me by surprise. I laughed. "What?"

"No, really. I'm curious."

I was slightly wary. I looked at him through narrowed eyes. "Where is this coming from, Zabini?"

My suspicion resulted in an eye-roll from Blaise. "Mate, I was just wondering."

Exhaling heavily, I gave in. "Alright. I started fancying her in first year." I looked at the ground as my mind flashed back to the days Elysia and I were just kids who spent our days sparring. I found myself smiling. "Merlin, she was sort of a wildfire, wasn't she? She just-she was bossy and snippy. Total bitch, with me at least." I laughed quietly. "She was the first person who called me out on my bullshit and that really took me by surprise."

Blaise was grinning as he listened to me. He quirked an eyebrow. "And you liked that?"

I shrugged, thinking. "I found her fearless," I said. "Being able to snap at me the way she always she did; calling me out and not afraid to get up in my face. She was always challenging me-and nobody ever dared do that. Even as kids, she was-soft but strong. Unapologetic and honest. All those years 'hating' each other, we kept lighting each other up like some fire just growing, getting bigger."

I shook my head, a smile playing on my lips. I was pathetically, hopelessly consumed by her.

"I don't know, mate," I shrugged helplessly. "Everything about her-the way she spoke to me, the way we'd rile each other up-it was exciting. I realized after a while, it wasn't the feuding itself that intoxicated me, it was her."

Blaise watched me with an intrigue and curiosity that made me feel like I could go on forever; talking about this one girl all night. Really, I could do just that. I could spend my lifetime just talking about her.

Blaise leaned against the wall across from my door. A playful, teasing smirk grew on his face. "Think she has any idea how whipped you are?"

I snickered. "I'm afraid I've made myself rather obvious."

He paused, thoughtful. "I get it now." His eyes narrowed. "Seeing someone flustered is an amusing sight."

My eyebrows drew together. "What?"