chapter 58

SAVING GRACE IN THE FORM OF SEVERUS

I waited for the class to clear out before approaching Snape at the front of the room. Pansy, Hermione and Blaise were hesitant to leave before speaking to me but Snape requiring my presence was more vital right now.

I sighed as I stood in front of him, speaking before he could. "I didn't lie about anything I said."

Snape sat behind his desk, slowly lifting his gaze. "About the devil roaming the halls of Hogwarts?" He spoke with mockery, maybe a hint of sarcasm, in disbelief.

"Yes." I stated firmly.

Snape's eyes grew dark as he evidently assumed I was not being serious. "Miss Ambrose-"

"She is the devil, professor." I cut him off before he could break out into a lecture.

Snape paused for a moment, his eyes narrowing. "Miss Ambrose, are you being bullied?"

I hesitated. "It's less bullying and more-inflicting unnecessary misery, I suppose. Although, those could be considered the same thing." I smiled awkwardly. Being high was causing me to say things I wouldn't otherwise-which essentially, is what put me in this situation to begin with. Granted, I didn't mind how blunt it was allowing me to be.

For a moment, I could swear Snape's features almost softened. "Who is the student inflicting unnecessary misery?"

I grimaced, inhaling sharply. "I much rather not become known as a rat. With all due respect, of course."

Snape's jaw clenched. "Miss Ambrose, this is no matter for joking. I won't ask again, who is the student? I need a name."

"Sir, I understand I was late to your class and I came off as disrespectful." I spoke firmly, my tone even and oddly professional. "For that, I accept whatever punishment you deem fitting but I cannot tell you who was 'bullying' me. Really, it's not a big deal. I was exaggerating, we simply don't get along. That's all."

That was a lie.

She spoke such vile things, pushing me to the breaking point, triggering me into a panic attack all while simultaneously trying to pressure me into taking drugs, with the knowledge that I already had a drug abuse problem.

Bullying was a severe understatement.

Snape considered. His face was always so expressionless. It was so hard to decipher what he was thinking. Slowly, he stood from his chair and rounded the desk to stand in front of me. I had to crane my neck back to look up at him.

If I wasn't high, I would be trembling from intimidation.

"Miss Ambrose, are you high?" He asked bluntly, so straight forward that it took me by utter surprise.