chapter 71

THE SPACE BETWEEN US

𝐎 𝐂 𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐄 𝐑 𝟏 𝟗 𝐓 𝐇

It had been a week. Draco and I hadn't been talking-although it wasn't actually clarified if cutting all ties of communication was part of this release-of-each-other situation.

"Is hell freezing over?" Ginny mused, intrigued as ever.

My mouth unwittingly fell open when I watched Draco and Lorenzo walking into the Great Hall together. They were speaking to one other, almost grinning. Then, they parted ways. Casual as ever, Draco walked to the Slytherin table while Enzo approached out usual spot.

"What was that about?" Hermione raised her eyebrows, fascinated by the sight.

"You're friends with Malfoy?" Harry didn't bother hiding his distasteful sneer as Enzo slid into an empty seat beside mine.

Enzo shrugged, helping himself to grab some food. "I wouldn't call us friends, per-say."

"What would you call it?" Ginny pressed, a charmed grin on her face. "Secret lovers? Long lost cousins? What about-"

"None of the above." Enzo tossed her an odd look. "We just have an... acquaintanceship."

"Acquaintanceship?" Hermione laughed loudly.

"What the bloody hell is that?" Ron mused with a mouthful of food, causing Hermione to swat him for not having better manners.

Enzo slunk down in his seat, shrugging carelessly. "I don't know. We agree on certain things-like murdering my sister, for example." He waved his hand dismissively.

Admittedly, I agreed with everyone else that this was unusual. Entirely unexpected and unforeseen. It almost made me sad that Enzo hadn't mentioned his newfound "acquaintanceship" to me-I just assumed we were close and told each other every little thing.

Perhaps, it made me sadder that Draco was no longer someone in my life I could know about. Not right now at least. I could no longer lie beside him at night while he held me, telling me all about his day before I told him all about mine.

I knew this temporary space between us was for the best but it didn't rid the part of me that felt missing. A hollowed bit of me that was reserved only to be filled by Draco. I missed him so terribly that my heart ached all day long.

It scared me to think that maybe this space would show Draco he was better off without me. Maybe he doesn't miss me. What if he doesn't want me anymore? What if he sees how weightless he feels without having the burden of taking care of me; that once I'm in better mental-health, he doesn't want me to come back to him?