chapter 51

TWO HALVE SOULSBECOMING ONE

TWO HALVE SOULS
BECOMING ONE

I was falling asleep in Herbology class, nearly drooling over my books. Not because I hadn't gotten sleep the previous night, but rather because I was high and one of the many effects the pills induced was drowsiness.

Sitting beside me, Enzo nudged me softly. "Hey, sleepyhead. As much as I want to grant you the peace of being able to sleep right now, I'm afraid you'll get a detention."

I blinked my eyes open, turning to look at Enzo with a loopy smile on my face. "Sorry. I mustn't have gotten enough sleep last night." The lie easily rolled off my tongue as if it were second nature.

Enzo peered at me thoughtfully. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Of course."

Skepticism flashed past his eyes for a brief moment but he only nodded in response.

Later, late at night much past curfew, I sat in the astronomy tower with a book in hand. I was high; a state of mind allowing me to sit alone in the dark. Something I once no longer had the privilege to peacefully do-and I still couldn't if I was sober.

"Hey, you. Little chilly up here, isn't it?"

A giddy smile played on my face as I watched Enzo come up the stairs, his hands tucked in the pockets of his sweatpants. "It's late. What are you doing up?"

He shrugged lightly as he walked over and sat down across from me. "I couldn't sleep. You?"

"Just-enjoying the nighttime, I suppose." The few odd times where I was intoxicated enough to do so. If I wasn't, the silence, the cold, the dark-it still induced panic attacks.

Enzo nodded thoughtfully, hesitating. I could read it on his face; that something played in his mind and he was unsure on how to bring it up. "I don't entirely know how to ask this, but today in class. Where you-were you high?"

I blinked. "What?" I forced an awkward laugh. "Why would you even think that?"

Enzo paused, fiddling with his fingers. "I-I've seen the signs on you.

My eyebrows pulled together. "Are you looking for the signs?"

He inhaled sharply, shaking his head frantically. "No-no, of course not. I just-I-" He sighed as he struggled to continue. "I've seen the signs on you because I have experienced them myself."

My mouth fell open in surprise. "You do drugs?"

He grimaced. "Not nearly as much as I used to. I've dabbled in drugs though, yes."

"Coping or recreational?"

A laugh escaped him. "Coping."

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I'm fine, if that's what you're worried about."