chapter 11

EXHIBITING UNWARRANTED SOLICITUDE

I was quite fascinated by Charms class. Learning new spells of things I didn't know was possible to do-it was by far one of my favourite classes. I also quite adored Professor Flitwick. He was nothing but a kind soul. He was emotional but such a gentle soul.

"Stupefy-a stunning spell." Flitwick told us. "We are not to use this charm because it will hurt someone but if you flip to page 231, I will tell you all about this charm."

"Stupefy."

Suddenly, my body froze. In a quick moment, I had fallen to the ground and my consciousness faded away. Everything had gone black.

When I woke up, my mind was spinning. The light in the room was so bright, it took me quite some time to open my eyes.

My body was aching.

I groaned.

"Elysia! Thank Merlin, you're awake." Fred engulfed me in a bone-crushing hug, only causing me to groan further.

I squinted my eyes. I was lying in the empty hospital wing with my friends crowded around me.

"What the hell happened?" My voice came out in a croak as I sat up.

"Crabbe happened," Ron grumbled under his breath.

"The fool-who has absolutely no brain inside that wide head of his," Hermione was shaking her head frantically, evidently enraged. "He wasn't paying attention nor listening to Flitwick when he said not to use the charm. He was aiming nowhere in particular but-well, he stunned you."

I bit my lip to refrain from laughing.

It was all just so bizarre and laughable. Of course, of all people who could accidentally stun me, it would be Vincent Crabbe. It didn't even surprise me.

"Where the hell is she?"

Everyone spun around to see Draco Malfoy rushing into the room, nearly tripping over an entire bed. He halted in his tracks when he saw me.

I quirked an eyebrow. "Looking for someone, Malfoy?"

Draco exhaled sharply. His eyes were entirely trained on mine. "You-you're alright, then."

Pansy, who was here with Blaise despite all the Gryffindors gathered around me, snickered. "She's alright indeed. There was no need for you to deck Crabbe in the face-"

"Pansy, shut up."

She hardly heard Draco. "Although I am not complaining because frankly, he's rather annoying."

My eyebrows pulled together. I looked at Draco. "You punched Crabbe for accidentally stunning me?"

Draco clasped his mouth shut. "I-It's-it's a shame that he didn't use Avada Kedavra." Draco avoided my gaze, sputtering slightly before he spun around and exited the hospital wing.

Unless I was absolutely delusional, I could swear Draco looked embarrassed for me to find out that he had punched Crabbed, all for stunning me.

"Oops," Pansy murmured sheepishly. "I supposed he didn't want you to find out how angry he got."

I leaned back in the hospital bed, hugging a pillow to my chest. "He really decked Crabbe?"

"As soon as he heard," Blaise answered quietly, peering at me.

Interesting, to say the least.

Draco Malfoy, who hates me, punched one of his oldest friends in the face for harming him, hurting me.

I had absolutely not a clue what to make of that, what to possibly think.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked, looking down at me. I could see the concern behind her eyes.

"I just passed out, no harm done." I smiled reassuringly.

"I know you kids are just worried about your friend but she will be absolutely alright," Madam Poppy Pomfrey approached us, handing me a cup of water. "But you still have classes to get to so the rest of you, be on your way."

George and Fred whined the loudest as Madam Pomfrey kicked them out. I offered reassurances as they left.

Although the stunning spell didn't cause lasting effects, I had to stay in the hospital ward awhile longer because Madam Pomfrey was worried I hit my head rather hard when I fell.

Frankly, I felt completely fine but it did mean that I could miss Snape's class-which seemed like quite an appealing positive of the situation.

At some point, I had fallen asleep again. When I woke up, Draco was sitting in a chair beside my bed.

"Careful, Malfoy. Your concern is starting to show. You wouldn't want me to think you actually care about me." My smug voice came out in a hoarse croak.

Draco rolled his eyes but his features softened when he saw me awake. "I can't have an idiot like Crabbe running out, stunning people. Don't let it get to your head, Ambrose."

I stared at him flatly, frankly, mildly amused. "You could just admit that you care about my well-being, Malfoy."

Draco stared back at me, his expression blank. "Just because we-have our odds, doesn't mean I actually want to see you dead, Ambrose. Who else would I torment if you weren't here?"

I bit back a grin. "That is by far, the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

Draco scowled at me. "Shut up. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Malfoy. You needn't worry about me."

"I'm not worrying."

"Then why are you here?"

Draco fell silent and avoided meeting my eyes.

He was worried about me.

Again, I had just about no clue whatsoever what I was supposed to think of that.

I mean, of course, I agreed with him. Just because I mocked him on a daily basis does not mean I necessarily want to see him dead- although there are many occasions when I want to strangle him with my own hands.

I cocked my head to the side, unable to hide my amusement. "You really punched him?"

Draco gave me a flat look. "I was just-he's an idiot. I was telling him how stupid he is. It had nothing to do with you."

I scoffed quietly, my eyebrows raising. "So, you would have punched him if he had stunned anyone? If he had accidentally stunned Ron?"

Draco paused. "He's a blood-traitor. That hardly counts."

I rolled my eyes dramatically. "Oh, come on, Malfoy. Technically, I'm a blood-traitor too. Just admit it. Admit you care. Admit you were scared for a moment there."

Draco clenched his jaw and again, avoided my gaze.

So, he really did care about me. Draco Malfoy did not hate me as much as he made it seem.

Draco cleared his throat. "There is a chance-only a small chance, that perhaps I do not wish to see you dead, Ambrose. Happy?"

A grin stretched across my face. "It's pathetic how flattered that makes me. I would have never thought those words would be just about the nicest thing I've ever heard."

Draco grumbled quietly, scowling his signature scowl. "You are pathetic."

"And you care about me."

He huffed an agitated breath as he stood. "And you're making me want to take back my words already."

I poured out my bottom lip, opening my arms wide. "Do you want a hug, Malfoy?" I teased.

Draco flipped me the finger as he turned and left the hospital ward.