chapter 56

START OF A DROUGHT

START OF A DROUGHT

"I'm so sorry I didn't realize." Pansy hugged me tight enough for me to not be able to breathe. "I should have known. I don't know how I didn't see it. I'm a terrible friend."

I winced as I pulled away from her and frantically shook my head. "Stop it, Pans. Please. This isn't on you-you couldn't have known or done anything had you known."

Pansy frowned. I could see it on her face that my words weren't convincing her. "Why wouldn't you tell me, Lys? I'm not like your Gryffindor friends-no offence to them but they're much more cautious about even bringing any trauma-related thing up."

I sighed as I sat down on the edge of her bed. "I was ashamed," I confessed quietly. It was the first time I admitted it, even to myself. "So much for being a Gryffindor. I don't have enough bravery to deal with my own thoughts. That's pathetic."

Pansy blinked rapidly, incredulous as she sat down beside me. "Don't fucking say that. That is not true. Merlin, Lys, you're the strongest fucking person I know. If anyone else went through a fraction of what you did, they'd already have descended into insanity."

I couldn't help but laugh. "I'm not sure I haven't."

"Don't be so self-depreciating."

I groaned as I fell backwards on her bed, lying on my back. "If you lot knew it was still so bad, so bad I was taking drugs, you only would have worried more."

Pansy turned to peer down at me, her expression flat. "We're you're friends! You act as though we aren't meant to care about you."

"I don't want you to worry more than you already do."

Pansy rolled her eyes. "You're quite ridiculous, you know that? If we don't worry about you, who will? If it were any of us, would you not worry?"

My lips fell into a tight line. She had a point, one that I couldn't counter.

"Exactly!" Pansy shoved my shoulder softly. "I'm actually quite offended you thought you couldn't come to me." She pouted out her bottom lip.

I chuckled as I grabbed her arm and pulled her down so she laid beside me. I wrapped my arms around her, rolling over so I laid on top of her. Pansy laughed as she hugged me back. "I fucking love you, you idiot."

My face nuzzled in the crook of her neck and I smiled. My heart filled with light and warmth once again-a feeling I hadn't felt in so long. "I love you more."

-

Obviously, it had finally come time that I was forced into staying clean.

As much as it terrified me, I knew it was for the best. I knew I had to do this. I knew I had to start fighting and clawing my way out of my own darkness. It took me a long time-and an overdose-to finally see it. I couldn't let myself slip away. I couldn't keep lying to my friends. I couldn't stop them from worrying, nor should I because my friends were exactly what would get me through this.