chapter 20

THE NIGHT TO END ALL NIGHTS

For days, the world had been weighing down on me in a way that made me feel like I was being crushed under boulders. It made it hard to breathe, hard to think, hard to be around anyone at all.

Having seen Draco with Daphne confirmed it all to me.

He really had been messing with me. He really had been trying to make me look like a fool until he grew bored and moved on to the next bird.

I was more flustered by how much it was affecting me. I would have never expected it would hurt this much. It made me realize how truly, deeply consumed by Draco I really had been. I didn't have any right to be hurt, yet here I was.

Fred held out his hand, a wrapped toffee sitting in his palm. "For you, my love."

I looked at him skeptically. "What-will this one make my head grow huge or blood seep out of my nose?"

Fred only looked at me sincerely. "Nothing. It's just chocolate."

I eyed him suspiciously but took the candy. He was being genuine, I could see it behind his eyes. Surely something was terribly wrong with me if Fred Weasley was giving me a real chocolate, no trick behind it.

"I want one," Ron reached over and grabbed another chocolate sitting in front of his brother. He watched me eat mine, seeing nothing happen, before popping it into his mouth.

Seconds later, steam started coming out of his nose and ears-like exhaust fuming out of a train. Everyone laughed, watching his face grow bright red as the steam continued fogging the entire Great Hall.

"Here-" George tossed him another toffee, one that would cancel the effects. "This 'otta help that." He was sputtering between hysterical laughs, wheezing to catch his breath.

Ron stuffed the second toffee in his mouth, taking a few moments to compose himself and sit back down. His face was still glowing red as he shrunk down in his seat. "Fuck you both. Wankers."

I bit back a laugh, shaking my head at the boys.

Fred nudged me softly. "That make you feel any better?"

I smiled gratefully. "I'm okay, Freddie. I already told you so. Don't worry about me."

As much as I tried to hide it, the sadness I was feeling was lingering behind my eyes like owls pleading to be freed from their cages in the Owlery. My friends knew me far too well for it to go unnoticed.

"Oliver Wood is throwing a party in the common room tonight," George mentioned. "Are you lot joining?"

"Wicked," Fred smirked. "No doubt. Why bother asking that question, brother."