chapter 41

WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

Samael leaned over my body that laid limp on the ground. I couldn't breathe. My lungs burned as I wheezed for air, desperate.

"It would seem that wizards are just as pathetic and weak as muggles." Samael's expression twisted in distaste. He poked his wand harshly into my arm like he was checking to see if I was still alive.

"Please," I croaked out. "What do you want from me?"

His head cocked to the side, his eyes lighting up with amusement. "Dearie, I only want to have fun."

"Please stop." My words came out in shuddering breaths. It was becoming increasingly harder to breathe. "Please don't hurt me anymore. I can't-just kill me already. Please-just kill me."

With pain, you could wish only one thing: that it should stop. Nothing in the world was so bad as physical pain. In the face of pain, there are no heroes. My Gryffindor bravery seized to exist. It was shameful and made me hate myself all the more.

"Elysia."

I tried to sit up, glancing around the dark basement to find where the familiar voice was coming from.

"Elysia! Wake up!"

I jolted upright in Draco's bed, sweat clinging to my body. Panting for air, my face wet from tears, my body shaking uncontrollably.

Draco looked terrified. He wrapped his arms around me, hugging me while I continued trembling and crying. "You're okay. You're right here. You're not there, Elysia. You're here and you're safe. Nothing is going to hurt you, I won't let anything." He whispered reassurances in my ear as he cradled me. It sounded like he was trying to convince himself as much as he was trying to convince me.

Draco held me for a long time. It took almost an hour until I was mostly calmed down. Draco got up to get me a glass of water; sitting down in front of me as he lifted the glass to my lips himself so I could drink. My hands were still shaking too much.

He placed the glass down on the bedside table before lifting his hand to push my hair out of my face. "Are you okay?"

I nodded slowly, blinking away remaining tears. "It was just a bad dream."

Draco took my hands in his and started massaging them, willing the tremors away. He stayed silent for a long moment before he finally looked at me again. "The last thing I want to do is ask but-you were saying-you were saying-"

"Kill me." I finished his thoughts for him when he couldn't. I lifted my gaze to meet his. "I was pleading for Samael to put me out of my misery." I felt as hollow inside as my words sounded.