chapter 89

CONCLUSIVE DETHRONE

CONCLUSIVE DETHRONE

"I'm so sorry."

My head in his chest, Draco hugged me close to his body. His head rested on top of mine, his fingers gently threading through my hair. He thought I was asleep.

"I'm so fucking sorry," he whispered. I could feel his tears fall onto my skin.

After I was released from the hospital ward, he had forced himself to stay together but I could see it-the sheer guilt behind his eyes that broke my heart. Only now that I was asleep, he allowed himself to break apart for what had happened today.

It wasn't his fault. I didn't blame-not at all. That thought never crossed my mind; it only tore me apart to know he felt it was his fault.

"I promised I wouldn't let anything hurt you ever again," he spoke quietly, his voice cracking. "I'm so sorry, my love."

I kept my eyes shut, squeezed tightly, forcing away my own tears.

When we woke up the next morning, Draco didn't speak a word to me. Sitting cross-legged in his bed, my gaze followed his movements across the room. As he brushed his teeth, got dressed in his school attire, clasped his watch around his wrist.

"Draco," I sighed. "You didn't even say good morning."

"I did. I mumbled it." He said grimly, still not looking at me.

"Draco, it wasn't your-"

"Stop it." He spun around to look at me. His eyes were puffier than usual. "It was. I shouldn't have-" exhaling deeply, he ran a hand through his hair as we walked towards the bed. "Don't poke the dragon, that's what you said and I didn't listen."

I reached an arm out, wiggling my fingers to usher him closer. "Trust me, I know how easy it is to lose control when it comes to Mara. One of her talents, that is."

Sighing, Draco took my hand and sat down in front of me. He frowned. "I'm sorry, so sorry-"

"I know," I smiled delicately. "I know you are and you have no reason to be, my love. If not me, it would have been you-and you know I'd prefer it be me."

Draco's nose crinkled as he scoffed. "That's rubbish, what you've just said."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm fine, aren't I? Now, we aren't to wallow in this-we've got loads to take care of as is."

Draco squeezed my hand but reluctantly allowed the topic to move on. "Breakfast first, then we can start taking care of-the rest of this bullshit."

"I still need to change. I'll meet you in the Great Hall, yeah?"

"I can wait for you."

I shook my head. "It's alright, go on. You can make sure there's still coffee left for me."