chapter 49

IN YOUR ARMS,THE WORLD IS WHOLEBUT I STILL AM NOT

IN YOUR ARMS,
THE WORLD IS WHOLE
BUT I STILL AM NOT

I looked, sighing, at the pills in my palm. I was wary of the desire I had for them, for without them, I couldn't seem to be apt enough to get through the evenings. It was painful. Having to watch myself slip away yet not having any other option was frustrating. Either drift away into numbness or lose myself in the havoc of my otherwise morbid and tormenting thoughts.

I just wanted to sleep.

At my door, a knock sounded, immediately sparking me to force the pills into the nearest drawer before responding to the knocking.

"Draco?"

A charming grin danced on his lips as he leaned against the doorframe. "Evening, my love."

I stared at him, still rattled. "What are you doing here?"

"I recall you saying give directions to your room to the worthy suitor." He raised an eyebrow. "At your service."

I cracked a smile, crossing my arms over my chest. "You want a late-night snuggle, don't you?"

Draco scoffed. "Heavens no. You were looking for a suitor so I stepped up to provide."

I bit back a giddy laugh because as it shows, Draco Malfoy is just as tightly wrapped around my finger as I am his. "That's how it is?"

He nodded firmly. "Indeed."

I pursed my lips in thought, humming. "I'll let you in on one condition."

Draco's eyes narrowed skeptically. "What?"

"Admit you wanted a late-night snuggle with me and I'll let you in."

Draco rolled his eyes, pushing himself off the doorframe. "That's not-"

I cut him off as I started closing the door in his face. Swiftly, Draco used his foot to stop the door. "Fine. I-" he ran a hand down his face. It was harder than he anticipated to show vulnerability. "I miss you. I miss holding you. I wanted a late-night snuggle. Happy?" He looked all but pleased to have to admit this.

I beamed a giddy smile, my stomach swirling and chest fluttering away. I was practically bouncing out of frivolity. "Yes. I am."

Smiling, Draco rolled his eyes as I took his hand and yanked him into my room. As soon as the door shut behind him, I drew him into an embrace and inhaled his scent, soaking in the warmth I had sorely missed. Like placing the last piece of a puzzle and watching it become whole.

Draco leaned his forehead on my shoulder, squeezing me tightly. "Merlin, I missed you."

I didn't know what this made us. I didn't know what I would even call Draco-he was far more than a friend but concurrently he was no more than a friend.