chapter 43

JUST BE OKAY

JUST BE OKAY

It had been nearly two months since I started sleeping in Draco's room. It wasn't something to discuss because it had become a routine well memorized by both of us.

Sometimes we would talk for hours, sometimes we would just lie there looking at each other in the dark. He would run his hands through my hair and I would listen to the sound of his heart beating against his chest. Most nights he would take my hands and massage my tremors away. Sometimes he would create a happy image for me to picture so I could close my eyes and fall asleep.

But every night, he would hold me close to him. He would never go to sleep until he knew I was in a deep slumber. He would watch me simply breathing.

It was a Saturday. Although I would sleep in his room and sometimes wake up and stay for a while longer just to lay with him, I would eventually go about my day with my friends and he would go about his.

It was the middle of the evening when I felt a sudden wave of anxiety crashing down on me.

My eyes were red-rimmed when I walked into his room. He was half-lying on his bed with a book in his hand, reading.

"Hey, you." He looked up and smiled softly but it was quick to fall when he noticed how terribly drained I looked. "What's wrong?"

I squeezed my trembling hands together. "Can-can you just read to me?" My voice was quiet.

Draco opened his arms for me to come lie down with him. "Of course, darling. Come here."

I slipped into his bed beside him, my head stuffed in the crook of his neck. My arms wrapped around his waist. I held him so tightly as if letting go would make me evaporate into thin air.

Draco held his book with one hand while his other ran through my hair. He started reading.

I listened to his angelic voice and felt the heat radiating off his body. It wasn't long before I fell asleep, still holding onto him.

-

"Happy birthday!"

I was sitting in the Great Hall for breakfast when Fred slid into the seat beside mine, wrapping his arms around me and hugging me tightly.

George sat down across from me, sliding a cupcake towards me. "Happy birthday, Lys."

I smiled faintly. "Thank you."

I always did enjoy my birthday but this year, as much as I wanted to, I couldn't seem to get into the right spirits. My world had become so miserable that it was near impossible for me to find joy in anything.

"What do you say we head down to Hogsmeade today?" Hermione beamed a bright smile, clapping her hands excitedly. "We could go to The Three Broomsticks."