chapter 26

COLD AGONY

COLD AGONY

I think it's been two weeks. I'm not sure anymore. Each day blurred by as one, meshing to seem like one never ending day. Each was the same. A piece of bread. Silence. Cold. Darkness. Samael returning to torture me. More silence. More cold. More darkness.

I couldn't quite feel hunger as much anymore. I think I was starting to grow used to a single slice of bread to get me through the day. I just wished my mouth didn't taste like sandpaper all day.

Sometimes, I would taste the salty metal flavour of blood when Samael tortured me.

For the slightest moment, it was almost nice to taste something other than bitter dryness in my mouth.

I think I'm losing my grip on sanity.

Fold the paper. Crease. Fold it again. Crease. Flip it over.

My chest was heaving heavily, aching. My vision was blurred with tears. I bit down on my lip hard to stop from screaming out in agony as I pulled off Fred's sweater.

It's so cold. I was left in nothing but a thin black tank top.

It was an impossible task to do with the steel restraints on my wrists. I had to yank out the yarn with my teeth, ripping apart the sweater to get it off.

I looked down at my leg that was still pooling out blood, much slower now. I was so lightheaded, I was afraid I would pass out again.

The pain was throbbing, pulsating through my body. I couldn't think. There was so much pain. All I could think was pain.

My hands shook uncontrollably as I struggled to tie the sweater around my thigh. I needed to control the bleeding. I needed to apply pressure.

I wrapped Fred's sweater around my leg, pulling it with my teeth to tighten it. I inhaled sharply, fighting through the excruciating pain.

It hurts so much I can't-

I can't.

I can't do this.

I breathed laboriously, heaving as I crawled back against the wall. I looked as though I just ran one marathon after the next. Or perhaps I just duelled all the dragons in the Wizarding world. All of them.

Fold the paper. Crease. Fold it again. Crease. Flip it over.

Draco.

I miss his touch. I miss the way he held me that night. I was so secure in his hold. It was an unimaginable security, comfort, like nothing in the world could hurt me as long as he held me. He wouldn't let anything harm me. Nothing at all.