chapter 12

THE DATE

THE DATE

"I heard a little something." Fred leaned over the table, sitting across from me in the Great Hall. He spoke quietly, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

I narrowed my eyes. "What did you hear, Freddie?"

He licked his lips. "Blaise Zabini wants to ask you to the Yule Ball."

I fell silent. George snickered beside me.

"Shut up."

Fred shrugged nonchalantly, leaning back. "It's the current rumour floating around."

I blinked.

Zabini wanted to ask me to the Yule Ball?

Frankly, it was flattering but also very unexpected.

"You're lying. Why would he want to ask me?"

George rolled his eyes. "Come on, Elysia, you're a catch."

I shoved his arm lightly. "But-we're just friends. The rumour mill at Hogwarts is-ridiculous. I'm sure Blaise isn't going to ask me." I shook my head, brushing the idea away.

"It's quite a simple rumour to not believe it," George thought aloud.

I scoffed softly. "Don't you remember the rumour about Snape secretly harbouring a crush on Harry Potter-which is why he torments him so much? You can't believe any rumour you hear here."

The twins laughed hysterically, recalling the bizarre rumour that floated around for a while in fourth year.

Fred shrugged. "I heard he's been crushing on you."

I gnawed on my bottom lip in thought. I didn't know if this rumour could hold any truth to to it, nor did I know how I felt.

"Would you say yes?" George asked. He seemed much more interested in the food he was eating.

"I-I suppose I would." I mumbled unsurely, looking down at my hands. "He's nice. I quite like him, I just-this is all unexpected."

"Is it?" Fred's eyebrows pulled together. "I mean-not that I spend time with Zabini but he does seem to get rather flustered in your presence."

I pursed my lips.

Maybe that was true.

"No-they just look much brighter-when the sunlight hits them, I mean. I never noticed, they quite match the shade of Forget-Me-Nots."

"You-uh, have something in your hair. Here, let me." Blaise reached his hand out and pulled something from my hair. I breath caught in my throat. When he pulled his hand back, he showed me a small piece of confetti.