chapter 36

A SAFE HAVEN

A SAFE HAVEN

I no longer see the stars, now I can only see the darkness.

I laid awake staring at the ceiling, my room light still on because the darkness had become haunting.

I had slept last night, after a long time. Albeit, it seemed to be all thanks to Draco. But, since I now knew I was capable of falling asleep, surely I could do so tonight too.

A few hours had passed.

I panted, my lungs burning with fire. "Please," I cried out. My own voice was unrecognized by my ears. "Just kill me already." The Cruciatus Curse was the most unimaginable pain in the world, worse than watching your own flesh being peeled off.

Samael bent down, hovering above me as he watched my body withering out on the concrete floor, like a fish out of water, fighting to survive, to stay alive.

If I had to pick a form of torture, I'd much rather be stabbed with a blade. Where a knife would only cause pain at the point it contacts, the Cruciatus Curse rips apart each nerve in your body, ramping up to 100% as each cell in your body burns.

Considering what method of torture sounded more appealing, the thought itself made me feel my mind slipping away. My sanity had fallen to the deepest pits of darkness.

Samael's bony, long fingers ran through my hair. My body was still shaking in so much pain, I couldn't jerk away from him.

"Killing you would take away all the fun, dearie."

I let out a loud ground, tossing and turning until I sat up in frustration. I couldn't push it away. I couldn't stop my mind from unwinding, from straying away so far I couldn't maintain a grip.

The time spent in the musty, moulding basement had become engraved in my soul. My own screams from the torture played on an endless loop inside my head. I could hear them the way one could hear themselves breathing in the silence. Continuous, perpetual, reverberant.

My entire body was heavy from exhaustion as I slid on slippers and a sweatshirt-the one I had accidentally kept on when I left Draco's room. His scent which was etched into the fabric of his sweatshirt brought me comfort.

My feet dragged as I walked to Hermione's room. I was hoping that with some miracle, she'd be up at such a late hour, studying as she sometimes did.

I can't be alone.

I'm so cold.

I rapped on her door softly, twice. When there was no answer, I knew she was asleep. I tried the twins next. No answer. I could practically hear George's snores through the door.