chapter 53

WHEN LOVE JUST ISN'T ENOUGH

I tried to take pills less often but it was proving to be exhaustingly difficult.

Not even for the world or what surrounds us but what we hold inside us, that is what traps us.

"You make a rather-enchanting plaything, dearie."

Samael Hadeon, although dead, lived on in my head. He sat in my psyche and tormented me-and the only way to get him to stop was to take enough drugs to numb him out. It no longer mattered who I was with or what I was doing, he was always just there. I couldn't escape him.

I peeked my head into Pansy's room door. She sat on her bed, reading a muggle magazine. "Hey, Bubba." Her gaze lifted when she heard me open the door. "What's up?"

I dragged my feet over to her and crawled under the blanket beside her. My head rested in her lap, one of her hands stroking my hair while the other held her magazine.

"Muggle tabloids are so interesting," she mused. "There's so much drama. Someone's dating someone, someone else is cheating, someone's getting divorced. There's a whole article theorizing who someone's baby daddy is."

I laughed faintly. "People love their gossip."

Ever since Samael took me, I happened to be the centre of Hogwarts rumour mill. However, with the transfer of the twins, now Mara seemed to be the focus for which I was actually grateful.

Pansy placed the magazine beside her and looked down at me. "Are you doing okay?"

I nodded as I picked off fluff from her blanket. "I just needed a snuggle."

Samael's bony, long fingers ran through my hair. My body was still shaking in so much pain, I couldn't jerk away from him. "Killing you would take away all the fun, dearie."

Pansy frowned. "I feel like I've hardly seen you since we've come back to Hogwarts."

"I know." I sighed. I had been so busy, lost in an abyss while being high that it was hard to be present, even when I was surrounded by all my friends. "I miss you."

"I'm right here." Pansy laughed quietly. "You can come to me whenever, you know that."

"I know."

Pansy ran her fingers through my hair. "Are you okay, Lys? Like really okay."

I was in a mostly empty concrete room-my hands chained to the ground. It was airless and cold. There was a tiny window on the far wall with nothing to be seen outside. Nothing at all.

"Yeah, Pans." I sighed faintly. "I'm okay."

-

"Okay, wait a minute. I have this one. Are you a dementor? Because you take my breath away." With a beaming smile, Ron nudged Hermione who rolled her eyes in response.