chapter 63

ADOLESCENT AMOUR

ADOLESCENT AMOUR

I avoided Draco all day.

Why did I have to be trying to stay clean right now? The timing couldn't possibly be worse.

On a loop, images of Draco and Mara flashed through my mind. Pressing on me, further and further, until I felt like I would scream. I didn't want to think about it. I just didn't know how to make it stop.

And really, it wasn't something I had any right to care about. Draco and I were not together. He didn't owe me any sort of loyalty. He could be with or shag whomever he wanted.

But he wouldn't. Not with Mara.

Right?

I trusted Draco. I believed he wouldn't but-she was leaving his room late at night, in his sweatshirt and I didn't want to be oblivious to what was so obviously in front of me. It wasn't the first time I saw her throwing herself all over Draco who didn't stop her.

But it's Mara we're talking about.

She plays games. It's what she's good at. She's made it her life's mission to ruffle feathers and stir up drama, to get under everyone's skin. It was too obvious-as if she carefully planted pieces right where she needed them, so I could only see exactly what she wanted me to see.

My mind was spinning. I could no longer think. My head hurt from how desperately I tried to understand the situation for what it really was.

Either way, I would end up being either oblivious or delusional.

"Hey, you." Enzo smiled as he slid into the seat beside me in Herbology. "How's the sober life treating you?"

I groaned at the question, although liking his forwardness. "I hate it. I don't hate it. But God, I really hate it-but I also can't hate it. Although, it is easier to stay sober without particular memories."

Enzo laughed quietly as he flipped open his books. "I know exactly what you mean."

Having spent the last night crying in Pansy's arms, I felt entirely drained. My limbs felt heavier, my head felt foggy, my eyes were red-rimmed and puffier than I'd like them to be. I rested my head in the palm of my hand as I tiredly focused on Professor Sprout-although admittedly, I wasn't hearing a thing she was saying.

"Hey, wakey wakey." Enzo nudged me softly causing me to jolt upright, blinking my eyes rapidly. I glanced around the classroom to see the students clearing out.

"Oh, God." I groaned as I ran a hand down my face. "I seriously fell asleep?"

Enzo smiled adorably, nodding his head. "You did and you looked so peaceful, I couldn't wake you this time."

I sighed as I gathered my things, Enzo waiting for me before the two of us left the classroom together.

"Here." He held out some pieces of parchment to take.