chapter 19

BAD MATCH

BAD MATCH

It wasn't absurd.

It wasn't the routine of it all.

It was him.

All the things I seemed to have hated about him, all the things that got under my skin and agitated me to no end-those were all the things I had been craving since they had been gone.

When I would meet his eye in class and he would send me his arrogant smirks-I missed seeing those stupid smirks that I once wanted to slap off his face.

His taunts and insults-now I was just yearning for a single word, missing his voice even if it were cool enough to make me shiver.

He sticks in my mind like something glued down, engraved deep into my subconscious.

I hadn't realized what was right in front of me the entire time.

"It was right in front of you, Ambrose."

And not just from him, but for myself-it was right there, so close that I could have touched it if I knew to reach my arm out for it.

Like smoking a cigarette-you hate it because you know it's bad for you, you're not a good match at all, it's killing you and you're allowing it to but really, you love it so much-you love the way you hold it, the way it makes you feel, the way you have something so dear to stay attached to, you love it so much that although you're a bad match, you still light another one and smoke it anyway because even if it kills you, you've grown so addicted to it and how it makes you feel alive that you would never dare let it go.

Love became the fertile ground for hate to emerge. The intensity of love turns sour and hate is generated-hate serving as the channel of communication between us because all the other paths seem to be blocked and that same hate, preserved the closeness of our twisted relationship because, in the end, it was never hate it was fuelled by, it was love, a hidden love that we never dared to act on because there was far too much angst between us.

Here I was realizing that all along, maybe I have loved Draco.

He was the one I longed to speak to-even if it were through insults and bickering. He was the one whose eyes I would search the room to find. He was the one who stayed lingering in my mind at the end of each day.

"A little cold to be up here this late at night, isn't it?"

Fred approached me when I stood in the astronomy tower at night. I found myself hoping it would be Draco instead.

I leaned into his side, looking out at the cloud-filled sky. There wasn't a star in sight. "You knew all along-how I felt, didn't you?"

Fred stayed silent for a moment. "Beneath each 'shut up' was really an 'I love you'."