chapter 35

TO BE OR TO NOT BE:STRONG-WILLED

TO BE OR TO NOT BE:
STRONG-WILLED

Waking up felt like stepping out of a steaming warm bath. It had been so long since I had properly slept, I forgot what it felt like to be so well rested.

I blinked my eyes open, my gaze falling onto Draco. He was already awake, looking at me with warm eyes, both of us lying on our sides to face each other.

Carefully, he reached a hand out to brush hair away from my face. "You slept."

I cracked a small smile. "I did."

Draco nodded slowly, looking at me for a long moment before sitting up and getting out of bed. "Breakfast is soon. I reckon it might be odd if you're seen coming out of my room."

I sat up in his bed, glancing down at my hands.

They're not shaking. Not right now.

"Are you-ashamed to be associated with me, Draco?" My voice came out much quieter than I anticipated.

Draco snapped his head towards me, his eyes flashing. "Stupid, you are. I can't fathom even justifying a response to what you've suggested."

I blinked, slightly taken aback by his defensiveness. I cleared my throat as I swung my legs over the bed.

I watched as he stood in front of his wardrobe, pulling out his school attire.

"Draco, why'd you do it?"

He glanced over his shoulder at me, giving me a questioning look. "Do what?"

I shrugged lightly. "Bring me here, let me sleep in your room, comfort me, help me-all of it. Why did you?"

Draco pursed his lips as he turned back to his wardrobe. "You look much less appealing when the sleep deprivation is shown all over your face, Ambrose."

I rolled my eyes, scoffing lightly. "I see you still can't admit to doing something kind for no other reason than to just be kind."

Draco turned around to face me, crossing his arms over his chest. "I don't do kind things, Elysia."

I cocked my head to the side, staring back at him evenly. "Why do you do that?"

"What have I done now?"

I shook my head, sighing as I stood up and slipped my shoes back on. "You always act as though everything you do has some self-benefiting reason behind it."

"That's because there probably is one." He spoke calmly, his voice even.

My jaw set as I met his gaze once more. "Really? Why'd you risk your life to save me, then? What did you gain from it?"