chapter 77

IN YOUR ARMS

IN YOUR ARMS

I laid beside Draco in bed. His arm snaked under my neck, my head resting on his shoulder. His fingers laced through mine as he held our intertwined hands above our faces, looking at our hands as he opened and closed his grasp on my hand.

"Are you upset about Potter?" His gentle voice sounded.

I paused, considering. "I don't know. I never realized what an absent friend he's always been, to everyone really-except Ron."

Draco nodded thoughtfully. "I'm sorry."

Craning my neck over, I looked at him. He kept his gaze on our hands. "Why are you sorry?"

Draco shrugged softly. "I feel he wouldn't be as disdainful if you were with someone... more meritorious, perhaps."

My heart clenched at his comment. He was so utterly wrong. I shook my head adamantly. "Draco, you are everything that makes life worthwhile."

Draco glanced down at me, his features softening. A small smile pulled on his lips. "I love you, you know that?"

I beamed a giddy grin. "It's nice to be reminded."

Leaning down, he kissed me softly before wrapping both his arms around me and hugging me close to his warm body. Heaven couldn't be better than this right here.

"Are you looking forward to the Christmas holidays?" I asked. "You must be excited to see your mum."

Draco hummed softly as he opened my hand and began tracing the lines on my palm with his opposite hand. His eyes remained there. "Mum's in France. Father thinks it's for a shopping-trip but she's actually there with aunt Andromeda."

"Oh. She won't be back home for the holidays then?"

Draco shook his head. "Unfortunately not. I much rather not be stuck in the manor with my father who I doubt will make time for a single dinner; although it would be preferable to not have even just a meal with him. I'll just be here but-well, I don't think I'll mind the lone time."

My heart chipped at his words. I frowned as I sat up, twisting my body around to face him as I peered down at him. His eyes finally met mine. "You're staying at Hogwarts?"

He nodded blankly. "Well-yes."

I gnawed on my bottom lip, looking at his hands that folded on top of his stomach. His persistent gaze felt like it was physically warming my skin. "That's not right."

"What?"

"It's Christmas," I lifted my gaze to meet his warmth-filled eyes. Yet, there was a strain behind them that Draco tried to keep guarded-he just couldn't help that his walls would naturally fall when he was with me. "You should be with family and friends. Not alone, here, confined in the dreary vacancy-"