chapter 15

WHEN HE'S LOOKING AT YOU

We all headed back home for the holidays. I was greeted by a houseful of family and friends. We gathered with the Potters, Weasleys, Remus and Sirius.

There was a lot of Firewhiskey involved-not for us kids obviously. Many nights consisted of the Marauders singing songs on the top of their lungs, Remus desperately tried to improve my backgammon skills but Fred relished in his constant victories.

Some nights the Weasley kids, Harry and I would be watching muggle films; we would go downstairs and James Potter would be strumming his guitar, writing his own nonsense songs.

"Moony loves chocolate, can Moony have chocolate, here eat some chocolate," James was singing, strumming his guitar lazily.

Sirius looked up from the book he was reading, quietly snickering.

"Stop that, you-Prongs." Remus chucked a pillow at James's head.

"You lot still act the same as when we were in Hogwarts." Lily entered the lounge-room with a cup of tea in hand, laughing alongside my mom.

"Nicholas, our favourite-" James paused mid-singing, glancing at my father who was shaking his head, although smiling nevertheless.

"Ticklish little fuss," Sirius finished, singing in a deep voice.

My dad laughed.

James stopped strumming, staring at Sirius in disbelief. "I've taught you far better than that, Padfoot. What a terrible rhyme that was."

My mom raised her eyebrows, turning to look at Lily. "I'm afraid these men are the real children."

Lily laughed, nodding in agreement. "The children are far more mature than these fools."

Being back home felt good. There was never a dull moment.

Despite there always being some sort of chaos going on, I couldn't help but think of one particular blonde-white haired boy.

I laid restlessly awake all night, hugging Draco's jacket to my chest. It still smelt like him-his subtle cologne with the slight hint of cinnamon apples.

I had never taken off his jacket that night, after I ran from him.

I wasn't sure why I still had it.

I pulled his coat away, holding it up in front of my face. I cocked my head to the side, looking at the coat as if it would magically give me all the clarity and answers in the world.

Why did Draco kiss me?

"I don't know how it's been so many years and you've failed to see it. It was right in front of you, Ambrose. Pansy never lets me hear the end of it."