chapter 24

MARTYRIZE

MARTYRIZE

I was starting to lose track of time.

Day after day, I stayed chained in the airless, cold basement. All alone. Left wringing out in excruciating pain.

I knew it had been a week because each morning, Samael would get one of his disciples to leave me some water. In some titanium-based metallic glass that was indestructible, impossible to break. The bare minimum to ensure I was hydrated just enough to stay alive. I'd go days until eventually, they'd leave a bite or two of stale bread.

And each day, Samael would eventually come down and hardly say a word or two before using the Cruciatus Curse on me.

Long after he was gone, all throughout the day and night, my hands would be trembling from the effects of the curse. When he would hit me, the agony and pain made me feel as though I were truly about to die.

Sometimes I thought, it would be easier to die than to feel such pain.

The experience of death by a thousand daggers. My body was left shuddering and twitching on the ground, hardly being able to intake a breath from the exhaustion caused by the never-ending wringing of the Crucio.

I laid crawled up on the ground, desperately hugging myself to Freddie's sweater. My face was damp from tears that were still silently pooling out.

Fold and crease. Fold again. Open the top flap. Crease left. Crease right.

I reiterated the words in my head, going through each step in making a paper crane.

I needed something-anything to hold onto sanity.

I didn't know how long I'd be down here. I didn't know if I'd ever make it out. I didn't know how long Samael would choose to keep me alive.

I couldn't lose myself.

I couldn't drift away.

FLASHBACK TO THIRD YEAR

"Oi-Malfoy. Malfoy." Draco sat beside me in Charms class but he was hardly paying attention, as usual. He was busy doing something else-messing with a piece of parchment.

He snapped his head towards me. "What, Ambrose? What do you want? Merlin-you're annoying."

I rolled my eyes, leaning towards him. "What are you doing?"

Draco stared at me for a moment before ignoring my question, resuming whatever it was he was doing. I watched his hands work as he folded a piece of parchment over and over again.

I poked his arm.

He ignored me.

I poked him again. And again. And again.