chapter 70

ON OUR OWN

ON OUR OWN

𝐎 𝐂 𝐓 𝐎 𝐁 𝐄 𝐑 𝟏 𝟐 𝐓 𝐇

For the first time in a long time, I woke up alone and in my own room. I laid on my side and stared at the sunlight illuminating the wall-whereas normally I would be looking at Draco. Everything about this felt unnatural and foreign. It felt wrong. I didn't like it.

But I told myself that this wasn't something to be sad over.

Draco and I weren't over.

We had yet to begin.

Draco can't save me forever. That would only tear him apart while I continue to grow entirely dependant on him holding me upright-which was not fair to either of us. I needed to learn how to save myself. I needed to do it for myself as much as I needed to do it for Draco.

So this was not the beginning of something sad.

This was the beginning of something sanative that would allow both of us to blossom on our own before we could flourish together.

As much as I reminded myself of that, it didn't help how sucky this felt. I missed him already and it's only been a single night.

When I explained the circumstances to Ginny and Hermione, they both stared at me oddly as they tried to make sense of it. Ginny cocked her head to the side, her eyes narrowed in thought. "When you say you need to heal, what exactly does that imply?"

I shrugged, picking at my dry toast. "I need to be okay on my own, without Draco there to pick up all my pieces all the time. These past months, I haven't been able to get through most days without him-which isn't healthy. To be that reliant on someone else, it's not healthy for either one of us."

Ginny nodded slowly. "Right-so what are you planning on doing exactly, to heal?"

"Therapy." I grumbled quietly.

"Therapy?" Hermione sputtered. Her eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Well-professor McGonagall and Snape are playing counselor, being the heads of houses they are. Along with Madam Pomfrey, they just want to check in with me on the regular and ensure that I'm in-tact mental-health wise."

Hermione and Ginny nodded along to everything I told them, absorbing the information.

"That's wonderful," Hermione smiled. "I feel this will be very good for you."

"I hope so." I slunk down in my seat and continued to pick at the bland toast, although I was lacking much of an appetite.

Ginny leaned forward on the table, her hands folded in front of her. "How do you feel-right now?"