𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 3: 𝑁𝑒𝑤 𝐹𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑑

I woke up the next morning to the sun shining in my eyes through a window in my room. I had another nightmare last night. My dreams haven't been very pleasant ever since.. the thing with my mom.

I got out of bed, went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and hair, then went back to my room to change. I rummaged through my boxes of clothes, because I was procrastinating putting them in my new closet. I decided on black shorts and a black tie dye AC/DC shirt.

After I changed out of my pajamas, I made my way to the kitchen to get something to eat. Then I noticed a handwritten note from my uncle sitting on the counter:

Y/n/n,

Had to go into work. Don't do anything I wouldn't do while I'm gone! I trust you. There's some cereal in the cabinet and some milk in the fridge. I also left some cans of Spaghetti-O's in the cabinet for lunch. Have a nice day.

Love,
Your favorite uncle

I was lucky to have my uncle. He was the only family member of mine willing to take me in. Unlike the rest of my family, he was actually kind, and caring. Who knows where I'd be, if he hadn't offered to take me in.

I went over and made myself some breakfast. I sat at the table with my food, along with the milk jug to prop up my phone so I could watch YouTube while I ate. About a minute after I started eating, I hear a knock on my door.

Were we expecting anyone? I don't think so. I quietly tip-toed over to the peep hole in my door. I look out to see Miguel, the boy I met yesterday. I was instantly relieved when I saw him. I opened the door to see Miguel slightly smiling at me.

"Hey Miguel! You scared me!" I said, with a happy tone and a smile on my face. "Oh, I-I'm sorry, I can come back another time if you're busy-" he said nervously, before I cut him off. "Oh no no no! It's completely fine! I was just eating my breakfast. Wanna come in?" I said.

He smiled and nodded, as I opened the door wider for him to walk through. "It looks exactly.. like my place." He said, taking a quick look around. I let out a small laugh, which made him smile a bit.

"So, how long have you lived in this area?" I asked him, sitting back down to finish my food. "Oh, not that long. I'm new here too." He said, which made me kinda relieved. "What school do you go to?" I asked him. "I start at West Valley tomorrow. How about you?" He asked, awkwardly standing in the area between the small living room and kitchen.

"Miguel, you can sit down if you want." I said with a laugh, gesturing with my hand to the other chair at the table. He nervously smiled and sat down in the chair across from me.

"I start there tomorrow too. It's definitely a relief to have already met someone. Especially since we're both new." I said to him. He nodded in agreement.

"So, do you want to maybe.. go for a walk?" He asked. "Sure! That sounds like it could be fun! Let's go!" I said, standing up. I put my bowl in the sink, grabbed my phone, and made my way out the door with Miguel.

Me and Miguel walked down the street, both of us creating small talk. "So, tell me about yourself." Miguel said, looking at me. "Well, I used to live here. But, I moved to Florida when I was 6." I said, looking at the ground.

"Why'd you move?" Miguel asked. "Well.. it's a long story, but, my dad.. he wasn't a very good guy, to say the least. And my mom, she got sick." I said, looking everywhere else but him.

"Who do you live with then?" He asked. "That's my uncle. He took me in after..." I didn't finish the sentence. "Anyways.. how about you? Tell me about yourself, Miguel." I said

"Well, I just moved here, my family is from Ecuador, I live with my Mom and Grandma, and I think I just made a new best friend." He said, looking and smiling at me after his last statement.

"Yeah.. yeah I think you did." I said, looking up at him with a smile.

✯¸.•'*¨'*•♡︎ ♡︎•*'¨*'•.¸✯

I didn't do much the rest of the day. I watched some YouTube, unpacked my boxes, planned my outfits for school, and did a few other small things here and there. It was late before my uncle got back, which made me a little annoyed. But, he came back with McDonald's for us, so he was quickly forgiven.

It was late after I finished eating, so I did my nightly routine before laying down in bed. I stared up at my ceiling for a few minutes. My thoughts were overwhelming me.

What if no one likes me? What if everyone there are assholes? What if Miguel stops wanting to be my friend? Where am I gonna sit at lunch?

The list of questions goes on.

I eventually got myself to go to sleep. I can feel a long day ahead of me already.

✯¸.•'*¨'*•♡︎ ♡︎•*'¨*'•.¸✯