𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 79: 𝐹𝑎𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑖𝑎𝑟𝑖𝑡𝑦

I led Henry into my apartment and shut the door. He kept crying, tears pouring down his cheeks.

When I first saw him outside the door, I felt angry. He was one of the last people I ever wanted to see again.

But once he said those two words... those two sad, sad words... my anger melted away.

Because I knew how this story goes. All too well.

We both sat in the living room on the couch. "When did it happen?" I asked quietly.

Henry took a shaky, labored breath in before responding, "two days ago." He looked up at me, his green eyes shining with tears. "I'm sorry I came to you. I just... I didn't have anyone else."

"No, no. Henry, it's fine. I'm glad you came to me," I told him.

"Everything is happening so fast..." Henry started again. "Everything is falling onto me. I'm the one that has to execute the will. I'm the one that has to plan the funeral. I'm the one that has to decide what to do with her body... and it's only been two. days."

Before I could stop them, tears began pooling in my eyes as well. I looked downwards when I noticed, wiping at my eyes. I'm not the one that's supposed to be crying.

I looked back up at him after I took a deep breath. He was looking down, his face in his hands.

"That's not even the worst part," he choked out. "I lost my mom. The woman who raised me. She was always there for me, always. She was so strong... This wasn't supposed to happen."

Now, I couldn't help my tears. I cried silently at Henry's words.

"And Clair..." he continued. I stayed silent, listening to all he had to say. "She is devastated. She's so young... too young to have to go through this... what if this ruins her life? Her future? She's so smart. I don't want that to happen to her!"

Henry took a deep breath. "Also... Clair, she... She's only seven. We don't have any other family, so she... they might..."

He couldn't bring himself to continue. And, he didn't have to. I knew exactly what he meant.

They might take Clair away from him.

"No, Henry," I said. "She isn't going anywhere. She will get through this, and so will you. I will do anything to make sure of it." I put my hand on top of Henry's.

He looked at my hand for a moment. He turned his own, grabbing hold of my hand as well.

"Thank you," he said softly.

"No problem."

We continued to sit there. He told me his worries and troubles, and I listened. I couldn't turn him away.

No one deserves to go through something like this. Not even the "new" Henry.

✯¸.•'*¨'*•♡︎ ♡︎•*'¨*'•.¸✯

I was getting ready to leave my apartment. I agreed to meet Henry and Clair at a nearby restaurant for lunch.

I left my apartment and began walking to my car, when I felt my phone begin to vibrate in my hand. I looked to see a funny picture of Eli fill the screen, along with his contact name.

I answered Eli's phone call happily. "Hey handsome!"

"Hey gorgeous!" he replied.

"What's up?"

"I'm at the store right now. What snacks do you want for the movie tonight? I'll wear my big jacket so we can sneak them in," Eli chuckled.

I stopped it place. I completely forgot that Eli and I were supposed to go to the movies today...