𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 60: 𝑈𝑛𝑏𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝐴𝑠𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑙𝑒

☞︎ HENRY'S POV ☜︎

*Flashback*

I woke up in the early morning, jolting my head up quickly. The early sun was shining into the room, casting a bright orange color on everything. I looked around the room slowly as I raised my arms to stretch.

I felt something move next to me, so I stopped and looked down. It was Clair. She was asleep with her head on my lap as she laid down. I stayed still, so I didn't wake her.

I looked over to my mom. She laid sleeping in the same, stiff hospital bed. We thought she was getting better, but... her cancer is way worse.

She tells Clair and I not to worry, and that we must stay strong. She says that all the time. She mostly says it to remind us, but sometimes I think she says it to remind herself as well. To remind herself to stay strong for us.

I need her to stay strong. I can't lose my mom. What would Clair and I do? We don't have any relatives to stay with... that I know of, at least.

I sighed quietly and rubbed my eyes. I carefully slid out from under Clair's head, careful not to wake her. I quietly walked across the room and towards the door.

I left the room, shutting the door behind me quietly. I ran a hand through my hair, smoothing it down a bit. I put my hands in my pockets and walked down the empty halls of the hospital.

I walked through the hospital and towards the front exit. I needed to take a drive. Hopefully it'll clear my head some.

I rolled the windows down and drove. No where in particular, exactly. I didn't really have a specific place to go. The cold air filled my car, biting at my skin and blowing through my hair.

Blurs of threes and buildings moved past as I drove. I stopped at a red light, my music playing quietly through my car. I held a hand up and looked to the left to try to block the sun.

Then, my eyes landed on something across the street. I could feel a small pain in my chest. It was Ventura Zoo.

Damn it... here we go again...

Y/n and I went on a date there once. But only once, because, well, it's pretty obvious...

Y/n doesn't know this, but I saw that guy at the zoo too. The guy with the red mohawk. Y/n and I were looking at the birds, when I glanced behind me. I saw that guy running away.

I told myself it was a coincidence at first. After all, she said she didn't know him. But when I found that picture of them later that day, I knew something was up.

They were kissing in the picture... kissing! That's when I knew that it was no coincidence he kept showing up everywhere. There was something between them, still. I knew it.

I just... didn't want to know it.

I tried to think about what to do. I was so confused and angry, that I ended up just ignoring her. I didn't know what to say. Then when I finally confronted her about it and she confirmed they had done something while her and I were dating, something snapped in me.

I felt angry. I felt like I wasn't good enough. Am I so horrible that someone has no choice but to run back to their ex? I hate the feelings it gave me.