61: Before

"It seems like Frostguard disappeared..." Diligence said, worried. "It... it's gone..."

"It's fine. Take me to Shooting Star next." Sloth said. If he remembers correctly, it belongs to that Virtue.

The two began their journey to the next Artifact.

"Hey... what do you think about me?" Diligence asked him out of the blue.

"H.. huh?"

He hears her chuckle quietly. "I'm asking what you think of me!" She repeated.

"Um..." Sloth scratched his head. What do I think about her? He pondered on the question. "You're... nice."

"Is that all you can think of?!"

Sloth couldn't help but smile. "Well.. What do you think about me then?"

"About you?" Diligence looked up, thinking. "Let's see... you're not as lazy as I thought you would be..." She continued. "You're kind of fun to talk to."

Even though he knows she's not real, hearing that makes him happy.

"It's nice to have someone to talk to..." She said, this time her tone was softer. "It may have been fate that we met..."

"I don't believe in those things. It was more like an accident..."

"That accident was fate itself!"

The two continued to talk until Diligence stopped. "We're here at Shooting Star." She announced.

Sloth sat down at the ground. He was getting tired of walking. I hope Temperance takes the Artifact fast... He thought.

She turned to Sloth, frowning a bit. "Although, I'm confused... Why are you interested in Artifacts? You can't use them."

"They're not for me." Sloth replied, sighing. "You wouldn't get it."

"Come on! Tell me!"

After a few minutes of Diligence begging to know, Sloth finally caved in. "Okay, okay... I'll tell you. Those Artifacts will help us in a fight."

"A... a fight?"

Sloth nodded. "Yes, a fight."

"Like.... last time..." Diligence said, quietly.

Silence filled the area as the atmosphere around him shifted. A familiar scent filled his nostrils. He flinched, remembering exactly what this is.

It was blood. He was used to it back in the real world but here, it drives him insane. The main reason for his blindfold back then was because of the sight of blood. Just seeing it was enough.

My... Bloodlust...

He can feel himself losing control. "Di.. Diligence... get away..." He managed to get out a few words.

"Look at me..." Diligence's voice was calm yet sad at the same time. She didn't seem worried.

"I said to get away from me!" Sloth said, louder this time.

His blindfold slowly begins to disappear. He froze as he saw the state Diligence is in.

Blood. She was covered in blood. But for some reason, his bloodlust disappeared instantly. Her dark brown hair was in a mess, tangled in places. Her blue eyes no longer have life in them anymore as they bore into Sloth's mind.