106: Battle Cry

Jason saw it clearly. Envy had thrown himself at Herobrine before an explosion set in.

Acheron...!" Jason screamed out, his words getting lost in the explosion. It shook the area, sending the Virtues off their feet.

Sky coughed, looking around and trying to see through the smoke. "I-is everyone alright?!" He called out.

Quentin's voice came out from afar. "I'm fine somewhat–how about Jason and Ian?!"

"I can't see Ian through this smoke..." Sky muttered. He started looking around for Jason who was next to him before the explosion started. "Jason?" He should be nearby somewhere...

As the smoke slowly began to clear, Sky spotted Jason running ahead of him.

Jason frantically scoured the area, "Acheron, are you there?!" He moves closer to the center, stepping through the debris. "Answer me, Acheron!"

The dust stung his eyes as he continued forward. "Answer... Please..." Jason whispered.

He grabs the glove of his left hand about to yank it off but pauses. If the 'curse' that Envy gave him was gone...

Jason's hands trembled as he slowly took it off. The glove dropped down to the ground as he stared at his hand.

Tears went down his face. His hand was reverting back to normal. The curse slowly faded away. He watched the last of it vanish from his fingertips.

"Ach... Acheron..." Jason's voice shook violently. "You and... Sloth... You—two—" He choked on his sobs. He stood there for a few moments just sobbing.

The two Sins had protected them. Against the other five Sins and even their own Father, Herobrine. And they were gone.

Through his tears, he saw something in the smoke.

There was a glimmer of hope as Jason's eyes widened. "Ach... eron...?" He ran forward, nearly tripping over the rubble. "Acheron!"

As the smoke cleared out, Jason came to a stop. He was frozen with a look of horror on his face.

A hand shot forward from the remaining smoke right for Jason.

Ian groaned, grabbing his head. While his Artifact covered his body, it didn't do much for his head.

"Envy... is he alright...? And everyone else..." Ian muttered as he pulled himself back onto his feet. His voice trailed off as he took notice of the sight in front of him.

The smoke had cleared out completely, allowing the other Virtues to see what happened after the explosion.

Jason grabbed the arm that was holding him up by his throat, grimacing.

"N-no way... he was... he was next to Envy..." Ian couldn't believe his eyes. "How... How is he still alive?!"

Sky looks around in a panic and spots his Artifact a couple of feet away.

"Jason!" Quentin train Shooting Star at Herobrine, charging it up.

While Envy was missing, Herobrine was still there. His right arm was gone—the one that Envy held onto. All over his body were small spots of withering. He gritted his teeth as he tightened his hold on Jason.

"That damn Sin!" Herobrine snarled as his eyes glowed more fiercely. He squeezed harder and Jason let out a painful cry. He couldn't believe it. Envy was really gone. He had sacrificed himself for them and yet... Herobrine was still alive. His Artifact glowed as water became to form. As it grew in volume, it began to travel up and around Herobrine's arm before leaping around his head. It formed a blob of water, submerging only his head into it.

Now without air, Herobrine only became more agitated. With Jason in his grasp, he throws him down onto the ground as hard as he could. Jason hits the ground with a resounding thud and all he could see was darkness.

The blob of water around Herobrine's head broke, spilling its contents onto the ground.

Before Herobrine could do anything more to Jason, Quentin had fired off a beam from his Artifact. He turned to see it coming but was too slow to dodge it completely. Herobrine cursed under his breath as it went through his side.

By now both Ian and Sky had rushed forward. Sky got there first, swinging Judgement at Herobrine. Herobrine's own sword materialized in his hands and the two blades made a loud clank as they met.

Ian grabs Jason, pulling his arm over his shoulder. Jason seems half-conscious, groaning in pain as Ian pulls him away from the fight. Blood was coming down from the back of his head. He looks back to see Sky trying to hold his ground. He was struggling even when Herobrine only had one arm and it was his non-dominant one.

I have to help him... we can't lose anyone else!

"Sorry!" Ian apologized quickly as he tore a strip of Jason's shirt in order to tie it around his head. He wished that he could do more as he placed Jason down carefully. "I'll be back, Jason!" He hurried back towards where Herobrine and Sky are fighting.

"Even after what Sloth and Envy did for us..." Quentin's Artifact shook as he tried to aim. "Herobrine... he's still alive..."

"And the others–Jerome, Mitch, Seto... what... happened to them?!" Hopelessness overwhelmed Quentin as Shooting Star shakes more violently in his hands. Tears welled up in his eyes. "Is... is this going to be the end for us...?"

"Ach... er... on..." Jason's view was on the sky above him. He tried to get up but he couldn't pull himself up. He rolled over onto his stomach and that movement was enough to send pain all over his body. He grabs both of his sides, gasping.

It... hurts... His entire body was hurting with the sides of his body hurting the most. Each time he takes in a breath, it sends a sharp pain coursing throughout his body.

Jason peers ahead, trying to see what was going on. His vision was too blurry but he could make out three figures ahead of him.

"All of the Sins are gone, it's you Virtues next." Herobrine growled. As he swung down his sword, he was met with a loud clang, Ian had stepped in between him and Sky, The sword struck down at Aegis and Herobrine recoiled back with clenched teeth.

Sky jumped onto this opportunity and managed to cut across Herobrine's chest, leaving a trail of blood. "Remember what Sloth said!" He shouted out.

"Rem... ember..." Jason muttered weakly, recalling Envy's words to him. "That... that we..."

Quentin blinked away his tears, biting down on his lips.

"We have to win...!" Sky finished. "We have to!"

Ian nodded with clenched fists. "--Whatever it takes!"

So Sloth's and Envy's sacrifices won't be in vain