87: Crumble

A demon. That's what Greed had transformed into. He wasn't recognizable anymore, his entire body was shrouded in darkness.

The demon's presence caused Mitch to shiver uncontrollably.

Mitch somehow managed to convert Illumina into a bow. He raises Illumina up and points it at the demon with shaking arms. The aim was completely off and he was unable to keep his arm steady making it impossible for him to fire.

Frantic thoughts ran through his head.

What should I do?! Can that thing be killed? It must have weak points too, right? I have to think up of a—

The demon suddenly turned its attention to Mitch.

Mitch's eyes widened in terror as he took a couple of steps back. The demon seems to grow larger in his eyes, ominously hovering over him. A sinister smile formed across its face.

It was enough to send Mitch running.

All of his thinking was thrown out of the window.

I can't face something like that!

Mitch had to muster his courage to check behind him, only to realize in horror that the demon was hovering over Jerome's body.

He shut his eyes, turned away, and didn't stop.

Jerome... I...

The demon was fixated on Jerome, examining him as if to figure out who he is. It extended out an arm towards Jerome but before he could reach him, Illumina's blade swung down on its arm.

"I won't leave you behind!"

It made a loud clang and Mitch reeled back from the impact. It was hard, almost like metal. Just like how the scarf felt back then.

Mitch stands in between Jerome and the demon. His hands trembled but he stared defiantly at the demon in front of him.

I have to do this....! I have to break through that body...

It let out a low growl. Its claws extended out as it took a more threatening stance. It suddenly lunged forward at Mitch.

Mitch ducked, avoiding one swipe of its claws and the next. Illumina swung down on the demon's shoulder but it was met with the same results as the first.

The demon lashes out while Mitch manages to block the claws in time with Illumina. He couldn't hold his ground and he was sent flying to the side. Mitch rolled several times before he came to a complete stop. Before he could get back up, the demon's claws plunged down at him.

Mitch's eyes widened, narrowly dodging the claws by quickly rolling back. It buried the claws deep into the ground where Mitch once was. Just by the impact alone, it took the area.

The demon is definitely more powerful but it was slower. Greed's wits don't seem to carry over either, to Mitch's advantage.

Mitch jabbed Illumina into the demon's body. He gritted his teeth as he forced it into its chest with all his might.

It cracked.

It made a snakelike crack in the demon's chest.

Mitch's face lit up at the sight of it. His hope quickly diminished as the demon had freed both of his claws, now closing in on him on each side.

He leaped back but he was too late.

Although he avoided the initial attack, the claws sliced into his stomach. Mitch let out a pained shout as blood started to pour out. He was in tears, gasping with pain. He wrapped an arm over his stomach, attempting to stop as much bleeding as he could.