105: Withered

"Sloth....?" Ian's voice was shaking. He stared at the severed head on the ground in stunned disbelief. He couldn't believe it. He couldn't believe that Sloth was gone. His own words rang in his head.

Ian's gaze went down to his artifact, Aegis. It was armor—armor that was meant to protect himself and his friends.

"We're getting out of here alive, you, me, and everyone else."

Those were the words that he had said.

I couldn't... protect him...

Something... was similar.

His mind went back to that vivid dream he had, of that girl—the body in a pool of blood.

It was the same feeling.

"—Acheron!!" Jason's cries brought Ian back to the battlefield. "Where are you going?!"

Ian glanced up to see Envy heading straight toward Herobrine. Black smoke was rising from his body.

"Virtues..." His rough voice called out. "Don't... come near... me!" With each step he took, he left behind a path of decay.

"Acedia... remember Sloth's words...!" Envy continued. "You guys have to win this no matter what."

"You're the last Sin left." Herobrine stated. "Invidia... you should know the difference between us two."

Envy glared at him but his body trembled. He can still feel the pain of his sliced throat and his severed left arm as if it happened again. He had experienced first-hand what would happen if he fought him. He saw the other Sins getting killed by him.

The differences between him and Father were too large of a gap to even compare to one another.

"How about this... if you walk away right now, I'll let you live." He paused as his eyes flashed. "I'll also let one Virtue go with you."

As soon as he saw Envy freeze in place, Herobrine's lips curled into a sneer.

"I... can take Virtue with me...?" The Sin repeated slowly.

If I run away now... Jason and I would be spared... He knew he couldn't defeat Father. Challenging him is essentially a death sentence. But with this offer, he'll be alive. Not only that but he'll be alive with Jason. The black smoke began to stop as Envy's huge smile of relief spread across his face.

He looked back at Jason with an ecstatic expression, expecting him to be relieved to hear the news. However, Jason wasn't smiling or seemed glad in the slightest.

Envy's smile froze.

The distance between him and Jason seems to grow as Envy tried to make sense of why Jason wouldn't be happy. There was a way to ensure that Jason was alive and well. And Envy himself would be able to be with him.

Why...?

His breathing turned irregular as his chest felt a twisted ache.

Why Kindness...?

His fingers twitched as black smoke started up again, this time denser. I... I can just take him and run... and the other Virtues can just–

Envy's gaze falls toward the other Virtues and then back at Jason. The ache in his chest and the smoke settled down.

Jason... would never leave the other Virtues... even if he'll die...

Jason is that type of person, unlike himself.

He quickly turned his back on Jason, facing Herobrine with his head lowered.

Herobrine noticed the change in the air. "Is that a no then?"