20: Thank You

Envy looks at Jason and then at the boy who backed away. "I guess I got here just in time." He said as he steps towards the boy.

"You.." Jason started. "Wh-what are you doing..?"

The boy trembled as Envy's hands reached out towards him. "Sin.. Sin..." He whimpered loudly.

"Wait—don't!" Jason shouted. He tried to move but the pain in his leg prevented him from doing so. Envy glances back at Jason, frowning. "He stabbed you." He said as he grabbed the boy's arms roughly.

"He's just a kid!" Jason argued. "He doesn't know anything."

"I'll make it fast," was his response before the boy started crying out. Jason couldn't peel his eyes away. He watches in horror as the boy shrivel up, his whole body turning black. Envy lets go of the arm once the boy stopped crying where the body fell down to the ground with a loud thump.

He swallowed hard. "W-why.." Jason whispered.

"Gula.. I mean Gluttony.. This is his terrority." Envy answered him. He proceeded to pull out the knife in his shoulder. Blood gushes out of the wound but he didn't mind. "That's what happened in there." He pointed to the box where the baby was.

Jason refused to believe what had happened. He looks away, pretending that he didn't hear what Envy had said. "... how did you find me?"

The Sin found some handkerchiefs and tied one around his wound. "I had.. a feeling.." Envy replied. He wasn't exactly lying. Ever since he met Jason, he felt some sort of a connection to the Virtue. Might be a side effect of the two of us meeting in one realm. He thought.

The ripple was opened in a hurry so the precise location isn't in the same area around the castle. It gave him a random area in the Mirror Realm. Luckily it let him reach Jason quicker.

Jason scowls. "Feeling..?"

Envy nodded. "I don't know how to explain it.." The only reason he retreated back into the Mirror Realm was because of the sorcerer. He didn't know the intent of his powers. That sorcerer... Envy scowls. If only he wasn't there... He looks at Jason, an idea slowly forming in his head.

Oh sorcerer.. I wonder how you will feel when the Virtue is on my side.. A smile slowly formed on Envy's face.

Gain his trust. And then stab him in the back.

"Don't move." Envy kneels over, pulling the knife quickly out of Jason's leg in one swift movement. Jason winces and Envy quickly tied the handkerchief around his leg. "The knife didn't go deep." Envy said. "We just need to clean the handkerchiefs."

Jason didn't say anything as Envy lifts Jason's arm over his neck to help him out of the house. "Let's move out of this area, I don't.. really like Gluttony."

".. The curse.." Jason started. "Was it.. really to help me..?"

Gain his trust. And then stab him in the back.

Envy smiles. "Of course, you wouldn't be able to defend yourself without it,"

"Then why is it a curse?"

"A lot of things are curses, even if they're good." Envy said. "Life itself is a curse."

"Life.. itself.." Jason muttered. "Can you... remove the curse?"

Envy pauses, trying to think of the right thing to say. ".. You would have been killed."

"But they wouldn't—" Jason stops, remembering that this isn't his own world. This place is corrupted like what Envy said. He grew silent as the two walked alongside each other.

After a while, Jason spoke again. "Thank you..." He said softly. "You saved me from that kid."

Envy blinks, a bit surprised that that he was thanked. He... he thanked me..? Something weird came over him. It was a warm, fuzzy feeling. It prompted him to smile unintentionally.

"You're welcome."