10: Invidia

"Wh-who are you?" Jason backs away, cautiously. "Where am I?!"

"This is the Mirror Realm." The mirror image smiles. "And I am you, the Virtue of Kindness."

Jason looks around. The place does look like his home. Except that the sky is a dull gray unlike the blue sky that was there. "You're me..? So like.. a mirror?"

The mirror image nodded. "They call me Invidia in this realm," He introduced himself. "I was the one asking for help."

Jason frowns. Invidia sounds oddly familiar. "My name is Jason.. "

"I'm sorry.. It seems like the ripple pulled you into this world.." Invidia apologizes. 

"H-how can I go back?"

""Don't worry another ripple will open up," Invidia explained. "They come and go all the time."

Jason breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank Notch.." He mumbled. "You said something about you needing help.. what is it?"

"This world.. it's in danger." Invidia said, lowly.

"Danger? How?" In the next split second, the ground seem to start shaking. An earthquake..?! Jason lost his footing but Invidia quickly held onto him, holding him up. "Wh-what's going on?!" Jason shouted.

"I told you! This world is collapsing." Invidia yelled to be heard over the rumbling. He held onto Jason until the earthquake stops. "The quakes started small but over the course it grew more and more bigger." Invidia pauses for a second. "These quakes.. they're breaking apart the land around us."

"T-that sounds bad.. How can we stop that?"Jason asked.

"That's why we need you, Kindness." Invidia said. "I heard that Virtues have special abilities

Does he means Essence? Jason frowns. "I'm sorry.. I never actually unlocked mine.."

Invidia seems surprised, looking at Jason. "You haven't..?"

Jason shakes his head. "Sorry.. I can't help.."

"Well.. You, yourself as a Virtue should be able to help anyway." Invidia said. "You see.. the Mirror Realm is a horrible place. The people here have gone insane."

"Insane..?"

Invidia motioned Jason, beckoning him to follow. They went down the path that Jason recognizes. If this is right, the kingdom should be- Jason stops in his tracks, looking at what seems to be a ruin. "Wh.. what?" His eyes widen in shock as he looks around at the wreckage. "No.. this is supposed to be the kingdom.. the entrance..." The whole area was destroyed.

"Ira have destroyed the kingdom in this realm. He's still out there, wrecking havoc." Invidia explained to Jason. "Plus the recent earthquakes have destroyed some parts of the castle."

Before Jason can ask who Ira was, Invidia grabs Jason, pulling him behind some wreckage. "Wh-"

"Shh..!" Invidia hushes him harshly. "A group is coming."

Jason slowly peeks out, finding a group of people walking pass where he and Invidia are hiding. They had weapons-knives and makeshift bats. There was also an old man who didn't seem to belong in the group.

"What are they doing?" Jason whispered.

"Just watch.."

Jason watches the group shoving the old man forward and then surround him. He can tell that the old man was trembling, frightened. One of them
pull back his arm and started punching him in the fist.

Jason gasped as the group started beating the old man up. "H-how could they?" He stood up and was about to run towards them only to be pulled back by Invidia.

"Don't." Invidia said.

"But.. but the old man.." Jason said in disbelief. He never saw someone hitting another with the intent to harm. It wrenches his heart to see this happening. "I have to help hi-" All of the sudden someone in the group screamed and went down to the ground, blood oozing out from his chest. The old man had a bloody knife in his hands.

Jason froze as he watch in horror as the group pulled out his own weapons. They kept stabbing and hitting until the old man lies on the ground, unmoving. With that the group laughs together and left. As.. as if they were playing around...

"Why..." Jason heads over, heart pounding. "Are.. are you... okay..?" Jason looks at the two bodies next to each other before putting a hand over his mouth and nose. It was the smell of blood. He staggered back from the bodies, eyes watering. "How.. why did they do that...?"

"They're with Ira." Invidia said, unfazed. "They love to do these kinds of stuff."

"That Ira guy.. he must be horrible.." Jason muttered. "But.. why..?"

"The Mirror Realm is a scary place," Invidia explained. "But it's collapsing at the same time. I'm not sure if I should be grateful or sad..."

Jason stood up weakly. He closes his eyes and wishes them to have a good afterlife. Invidia was behind him, his arm slowly reaching towards Jason's hand. He takes hold on it, squeezing Jason's hand tightly.

"H.. huh..?" Jason look back at Invidia to see him staring at him.

"This will hurt a little." Invidia smiles. It was a smile that Jason perceives as a sad one. Jason yelps, feeling as if he had been shocked. He looks at his left hand, finding it slowly turning black.

"What are you doing?!" Jason tries to pull back but Invidia had a firm grip. Jason felt his like his whole left hand is being burned. The pain shot upwards, causing Jason to wince. When Invidia finally lets gp, Jason steps back, holding onto his own arm. He rolls up his sleeve to see what has happened.

His entire left arm have changed. It turned black. "Wh.. what did you do..?" Jason asked, voice trembling.

"Don't worry, Kindness." Invidia said, smiling. "It's a curse that will protect you."

"Pr-protect me?"

"Now.. I need to do something." Jason sees Invidia's hands moving in the air as if he was peeling back something. And then it was that strange, distorted area that Jason saw back then. "I'll come back, Kindness!"

"No! Wait-" Before he can finish his sentence, Invidia disappeared along with the strange space.