33: At Dawn

Ian woke up at dawn to check on the people to see how they were doing. He set out, heading towards the areas where the unaffected are. Some people were out but they seem to have a worried look.

One of them spotted Ian and ran up to him, grabbing his shoulders. "Diligence, how is my wife? Is she getting better?"

"She's... she's alright." Ian stammered, a bit surprised.

The man nodded slowly, his hands dropping from Ian's shoulders.

Ian felt something weighing down on him. It was anxiety. He sucks in a breath. Where is Hope when we need it?

Ian decided to check the other side where the Affected were kept. There was a small fight outside and Ian rushed in to stop it. He managed to grab one guy and pull him off the other, who was already knocked out.

"Stop it!" Ian shouted. "He can't even move anymore"

"He gets what he deserves." The guy muttered, shoving Ian away. Fortunately, he just walked off.

Ian sighs, grabbing the unconscious man. He looked around, seeing there was a bench and laid him out there.

"I'll get a first aid kit and come back here..." He muttered. As he was walking back through the unaffected area, something caught his eye.

It was a distorted space. Are they back?! He steps towards it, excitedly.

He waited but they didn't come back. Ian looks around and deicides it would be best to wake the others up first. Before he can move, someone steps out of the ripple.

"Hmm.. where am I now?"

Ian's eyes widened. In front of him was a man with messy and unkempt brown hair. His facial hair was uneven, giving the expression that the man doesn't bother trying to appear well. He looks disheveled, his white collared shirt buttoned unevenly and half tucked into his blue pants. He had a black sleeping mask that over covers his right eye. His deep blue eye stared at Ian for a few moments, seemingly equally shocked as he was.

"A... Virtue..?" The man said in a croakily matter.

Ian's face turns pale, realizing that the man before him is a Sin. "N-no way..."

What Sin is that?! He doesn't look like... Ian pauses, realizing the similarities he has with the Sin.

"This... realm is too bright..." The Sin muttered. A blue gas seems to emerge from him, sweeping in the area.

"Wh-what is this?!" Ian pulls up his shirt to cover his nose and mouth as the blue rushes over to him. It started to expand. Nearby people wobbled and dropped to the ground. Ian looked around, horrified. He wonders if the gas was poisonous or maybe something worse. Either way, he has to stop him.

Ian holds onto his shirt as he ran towards the source, the gas getting thicker and thicker. He can hardly see anything now, trusting his gut snd moving forward. Ian makes out a shape and hurl himself at it, tackling him down. It didn't seem to have stopped the gas. It was getting to him now, feeling light-headed. He just... wanted to sleep. Ian shakes his head and holds on to his breath.

I have to get him away from everyone...

He started to drag the Sin, trying to navigate through the gas. In the next split second, the blue dispersed and Ian was on his knees, coughing and gasping for air. "It... it stopped...?"

Ian looks up to his surroundings, hoping to find the Sin gone. He wasn't. He lays on the ground, unmoving but he was awake.

To make matters worse, the entire surroundings had changed.

This... isn't the place I was at. He stood up, slowly, finding the entire area in ruins. No... no... where am I?!