107: Push the Limits

Tears stained Jason's face, from the pain his body is in and the deaths of Sloth and Envy.

They had sacrificed themselves for the Virtues.

Jason's vision cleared enough for him to see Ian and Sky slashing with Herobrine. "I... I have to help!" He started to crawl towards them, grimacing as the pain intensified.

His bones must be fractured, if worse, broken. Although Jason could heal himself, there isn't enough time.

Herobrine's dominant arm was missing, thanks to Envy. The Sin's withering seems to have a lasting effect on him as well.

They had to take Herobrine down now.

"Ocean... Hymn..." Jason stretched out his right arm, materializing his Artifact once again.

I need more than just water... what... what can I...

Sloth's voice suddenly rang in his head. The time when he first materialized his Artifact, he had leaned towards him and whispered:

Only as a last resort, use your blood.

"Blood..." Jason repeated. The blood from his injuries started to gravitate around his Artifact. At the same time, Jason continued crawling his way toward the fight, trying to not pay attention to how much it hurt.

Quentin was having trouble aiming. He couldn't afford to have his Artifact shoot Sky or Ian. At the same time, he needed to help as much as he could.

"I have to move with a better angle..." He muttered. Herobrine's position has been changing constantly, making it more difficult for Quentin. He hurriedly ran closer, attempting to find the right time and spot to shoot.

Herobrine's sword struck down on Ian's Artifact, Aegis, once more and made a resounding clank. At the same time, Sky jumps out from behind Ian to strike him.

Herobrine intercepted the sword and the two Virtues were forced to back off.

Ian looks down at the silver armor. Sloth had said that the Artifact could be molded into a shield.

But how...?!

This isn't a time for trial and error either. However, Ian doesn't know how many more hits he'll have to take. A shield would be much safer than throwing his own body in front of Herobrine's sword.

A shield. Think of a shield. Ian told himself. The silver armor glowed as if in response to his thoughts but nothing happened.

"Ian!" Sky shouted out.

Ian's eyes widened as he suddenly saw Herobrine's blade going straight for him. It was going high—too high for Aegis.

Ian stumbled backward in shock and a swallow cut formed across his right cheek. Sky quickly jumps in to block Herobrine's second sword strike.

"Ian, are you alright?!" Sky yelled out.

"Don't worry about me!" Ian quickly pulled himself back up, reaching to feel the blood slowly coming down from the cut. He feels something in his palm, opening it up to see a small silver object.

It was a piece of his armor, shaped like a handle. It was the beginning of a shield.

Even when injured and with one arm, Herobrine could still push back Sky.

Sky stepped back, tightening his hold on his Artifact's handle. No... this was Wrath's—Dacso's sword.

Herobrine lunged at Sky with a hard swing of his sword. Sky blocked it, his shoes sliding back in the dirt as he was shoved back.