98: Smoke Signal

Sloth's retelling was slow and painstaking in detail.

I need to distract him...

"—Ira has been attacking Sins left and right, I believe that's what happened to Gula..."

His hand reached out and came back.

Distraction...

He had to distract him in every way possible.

As he went through false events, he gestured with his hands and arms, trying to draw all of the attention onto himself.

Envy wasn't there yet.

"Unfortunately, there is another Sin that's missing because of Ira..."

Herobrine stared at Sloth as he continued talking with a flat face. The Sin doesn't know what he was thinking but as long as he is distracted it's enough.

Envy couldn't see Sloth from his position. He was a couple of feet away from Herobrine's back now.

He couldn't risk activating his abilities right now. The moment before he touches Herobrine's back is when he would instantly activate his ability. Even if he was powerful, it should be impossible for him to not decay under the Wither's effect.

Herobrine was only a few feet away from Envy now. But he was still too far to be in arm's reach.

I need to get closer.... Just a few more steps!

He was about to take one more step forward when something reflected against the light.

Huh...?

Envy froze in place as his eyes registered what just happened.

A blade. A blade had swung at him.

He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out but strange gurgles.

He stood there for a few moments, stunned. His hand slowly went to his throat, feeling his fingers being coated with something wet. He trembled as he looked down, seeing the blood seeping down to his shirt. His eyes darted back up at Herobrine, seeing a turquoise blade in his hand with the tip of it colored in crimson. The man was standing up now, glaring coldly at him.

"If you were a few steps ahead, your head would have come clean off."

Envy couldn't believe it. Herobrine had been looking straight at Sloth the entire time. Had he known the entire time?

It's okay, I won't die like this...! Envy changes his stance and lunges at Herobrine. All I need to do is to grab onto him and everything would be fine...!

Since Envy was found out, he already activated his ability. Any remains of plants withered away as Envy went by them.

"Invidia!" Sloth shouted out. Blue smoke quickly rolled into the area, rushing towards Herobrine and Envy.

The smoke had hardened and sharpened to a large blade as it headed straight for Herobrine. He turned around to block the smoke, single-handedly with his sword. Envy is behind Herobrine now, his hand stretching out to grab onto him.

Herobrine's hand shot out to grab Envy's right wrist and stop it in place. He squeezed it tightly as the Sin let out a mangled cry. Envy shot his left arm forward as his left hand emitted black, ominous smoke.

Then there was a swish sound of the sword cutting through the air over Sloth's shouts.

~

The Virtues had separated into different groups and hid in different areas.