Part 38

"Good morning Topolina."

"Morning babe." I say sleepily.

"Mmm I love that sound."

A smile perks on my lips. "What sound?"

"You're sleepy voice calling me babe."

"Well thank you. I'm enjoying the morning phone calls."

"Good. Good luck today Andrea and once you are finished come by my office I want to hear all about your interview." He purrs.

"Oh ok. I'm assuming the ostentatious big black building with the big M on it is your's." I poke fun. I know what building is his. It's hard to miss. It's black obsidian and black glass all the way up with a big gold M on the front of it. Everyone knows who owns that building and who works in it. Mariano Inc. and the one and only Raphael Mariano.

"Yes that's mine." I can tell he's fighting the humor.

"Ok." I laugh. "I'll see what I can do."

"See you later beautiful."

"Bye Raphael."

I get ready in the outfit Raphael sent and head to the university. After every class my professors pull me aside to tell me good luck. It's no surprise that there's no secrets among the grad professors. They all know everything and they all tell everyone which means most of my class mates know I have an interview. Only a select few of my class mates know what happened at Macaroy though, the rest only assume.

I hop on the subway to wall street and in 30 minutes I'm walking up to the building Cape is in. I walk in and show the e-mail to security and just like that I'm shown to the right elevator and told what office to go to.

"Hi Andrea to see Mr. Clay Milo." I tell the receptionist at the office I'm supposed to be at.

She peers up from behind her blue light glasses and squints. Then she looks at the planner on her desk and finds the appointment. "Ahh yes the interview. Sit over there." She points with a perfectly manicured finger. "And he'll be right with you."

I take a seat and look around the office. It's stark white and the glass is blue. The office is kind of quiet with a few on the phone and chatting amongst themselves. Papers shuffle and the sound of a printer clicks somewhere. Someone opens the break room door and the smell of coffee drifts through the office making a few people get up for a cup. After a few minutes of watching the office, a woman walks up with red hair and black plastic rimmed glasses. "Hi you must be Andrea Muños. I'm Amanda Carrigan. I'll be interviewing today shall we start?" I nod my head. She waves me to the blurred blue glass door behind the receptionist. I follow behind her and the secretary gives me a small smile and a thumbs up. It makes me relax a little. Amanda strides to a chair next to the desk and she motions me to take the chair next to her. What must be Clay Milo looks up at us from his desk of papers. He has bleach blonde hair. He's wearing a crisp white shirt and she can see his dark blue jacket hanging behind him. He quickly stands to shake my hand.

"Hi Clay Milo you must be Andrea Muños. " He smiles.

"That's me." I smile at the both of them.

"Take a seat. Take a seat let's get this ball rolling." He encourages. "Amanda want to start us off." He's young. Well younger than Amanda atleast but maybe a few years older than me. He has a bright boyish smile and his blue eyes reflect the sky.

"Ok let's get to it." Amanda smiles peering through her glasses. She goes into the normal line of questioning. What do you know about Cape? When will you graduate grad school? So on and so forth. She finally finishes her questioning and smiles to Clay.

"Ok now my turn." He booms and peers into Andrea.

"So on your resume it says you interned at Macaroy. I called your reference Rollie Collins. He had nothing but high praises for you. Why did you leave before you graduated?"

My face drains of color and I shift in the chair. Amanda must have noticed because she speaks up. "If you don't want to talk about it we don't have to." She places her hand on my arm reassuringly. I nod and take in a deep breath.

"Thank you." I look at her. She exchanges a look with Clay and he nods concerned.

"I apologize Ms. Muños for making you uncomfortable. It's a normal line of questioning and I didn't even think..."

I interrupt. "No it's ok. It's just I don't want to speak badly about someone in an interview."

"I get it. You're good. Let's move on."

"I called a friend that I have at DaLucca, Raphael Mariano? He had nothing but good things to say about you. I was surprised you didn't put him on your resume. How long have you worked with him?" Clay looks at me.

"Just a handful of times. Sigurd is my boss. I haven't worked with Mr. Mariano enough to warrant putting him on my resume." I say trying to not sound spooked by him calling Raphael.

"Well you left a big impression on him."

I smile and say. "Good." I immediately get nervous should I tell them I'm dating him? What would they think? I would be marked as the girl who is sleeping her way to the top. I don't want that. He's just so ugh. I'm nervous now.

"Oh dear." Amanda quickly stands. "I have a meeting I have to get to. Ya'll carry on. Andrea it was nice meeting you." She smiles at us and rushes out.

"Excuse her." Clay waves her off. "Well when can you start?" He says leaning back into his chair putting his hands behind his head.

"Upon the job offer. I'd like to offer DaLucca a 2 weeks notice."

"Well I'm offering you a job. For now as part time come in when you can. and when you graduate your part time job will go to full time. After a few months feel free to work from home for some extra hours. We do ask if you're going to work from home come in every now and then so we can see you. We still want to have a good atmosphere here. In the coming days we'll get you all fixed up with a laptop, and a phone, and a few other things."

"Wow um thank you so so very much. I do have one thing. I have a trip home planned in December that's going to be 4 weeks." I say.

"Well you'll be part time still so it will be easier for you. You can either take it or work the hours from there. As long as you have internet you can work from home. So it'll be up to you." He says standing up.

"Oh wow ok. So I could feasibly work from the beach as long as I have internet?"

"Larry does it all of the time." Clay smiles. He walks up to me and shakes my hand.

"Call me when you have a start date." He waves and I make my leave.